longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Shopping Cart Trick (Soft Pull)

@Maximuss wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Maximuss wrote:

@coldnmn wrote:

@Maximuss wrote:

Well I tried this fully expecting not to get anywhere specially since I tried for the Sportsman's Guide Visa. To my surprise I was approved for $2500.00 with a very thin file and a CA from 2.5 years ago. Even if it was a hard pull it was worth it to me. When you're rebuilding you take what you can get. I have a secured BofA and now this card. Just trying to decide if accepting the J Crew pre-approval that also popped for me is a good idea too to have 3 TL reporting or if I should stop here. Any suggestions? 

Whoo! Hoo! Congrats! Definately worth a hp!

Thank you!!! Sure was nice to see approved on the screen.

Yes, $2,500 is great.   My concern with the shopping cart approach is when people are getting tiny lines, and wrecking their AAoA, just to avoid HPs which go away anyway.

So you would advice against pulling the trigger on J Crew just to pad the file a little since it's pretty thin?

It depends on the individual situation which is hard to judge.   So, making numbers up, suppose you could get a $250 CL through the shopping cart, or, by applying to another vendor, get a $1,500 line with a HP.   Now both reduce your AAoA, but like people often have thresholds for HPs ("I won't ask for CLI unless it is at least X") I think people should be equally concerned with AAoA reductions, which last much longer!   $1,500 is maybe OK, $250 may not be.  But if you have "too many" inqs, and need more CL for utilization, then even a small tradeline might be OK.

So no hard and fast rules, just I think some people get caught up in the excitement of the shopping cart, getting a bunch of small lines thinking they are FICO-consequence free, neglecting the AAoA impact.

Message 11 of 16
injustifiiable
Valued Contributor

I would do J.Crew since it grows faster than any of the other Comenity accounts.

i.e. I'll have had mine a year in February and I started at $250...now I'm at $1,950 by hitting the button almost monthly.

Scores 5/15/2016 (clean reports!): TU Walmart FICO: 696 | EQ FICO: 679 | EX AMEX FICO: 680

In my new wallet: American Express Green EMV: PSL $2000 | BankAmericard Cash Rewards Visa EMV: $2500 | Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World MasterCard: $6400 | Barclaycard Arrival World MasterCard: $1000 | Discover IT: $2500 | Amazon Rewards Visa Signature: $1500 | Chase Freedom: $1500 | Capital One QuicksilverOne MasterCard: $2100 | Target: $2800 | J.Crew $21,550 | Marvel (Captain America) MasterCard: $6000
Message 12 of 16
corymcd88
Valued Contributor

@Lechte wrote:

@Maximuss wrote:

If I get the shopping cart trick to pop and I go through with the application lets say at J.Crew or Express, is the whole process a soft pull, or when you're taken to the application process do they need a hard pull to extend the credit? Also, does walmart offer the pre approval on their site. I can't get that one to pop. Thanks in advance.

The whole process is a soft pull.  Walmart doesn't offer a preapproval.

Walmart does preapproval but in the form of a letter, A friend of mine got one but it was a HP on TU.

Message 13 of 16
Lechte
Frequent Contributor

@corymcd88 wrote:

@Lechte wrote:

@Maximuss wrote:

If I get the shopping cart trick to pop and I go through with the application lets say at J.Crew or Express, is the whole process a soft pull, or when you're taken to the application process do they need a hard pull to extend the credit? Also, does walmart offer the pre approval on their site. I can't get that one to pop. Thanks in advance.

The whole process is a soft pull.  Walmart doesn't offer a preapproval.

Walmart does preapproval but in the form of a letter, A friend of mine got one but it was a HP on TU.

They don't on their website.

(EX08 - 654) --- (TU08 - 643) --- (EQ08 - 667) --- (EQ04 - 676)

Message 14 of 16
Lechte
Frequent Contributor

@coldnmn wrote:

I have read where when you accept the card they do a hp so very much YMMV!

The store card isn't a hard pull.  It may be a hard pull if it's a Visa or MC.

(EX08 - 654) --- (TU08 - 643) --- (EQ08 - 667) --- (EQ04 - 676)

Message 15 of 16
wacdenney
Valued Contributor

Comenity gave me my highest limit on the Sportsman's Guide Visa via the shaopping cart trick with only a SP.

Later after I was unable to get the popup for the Total Rewards Visa I filled out an app and got a HP and a denial.

Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.