Valued Member
Maximuss

Shopping Cart Trick (Soft Pull)

If I get the shopping cart trick to pop and I go through with the application lets say at J.Crew or Express, is the whole process a soft pull, or when you're taken to the application process do they need a hard pull to extend the credit? Also, does walmart offer the pre approval on their site. I can't get that one to pop. Thanks in advance.

Frequent Contributor
Lechte

Re: Shopping Cart Trick (Soft Pull)

Maximuss wrote:

If I get the shopping cart trick to pop and I go through with the application lets say at J.Crew or Express, is the whole process a soft pull, or when you're taken to the application process do they need a hard pull to extend the credit? Also, does walmart offer the pre approval on their site. I can't get that one to pop. Thanks in advance.

The whole process is a soft pull.  Walmart doesn't offer a preapproval.

(EX08 - 654) --- (TU08 - 643) --- (EQ08 - 667) --- (EQ04 - 676)

Mega Contributor
coldnmn

[ Edited ]

I have read where when you accept the card they do a hp so very much YMMV!

My Wallet /US Bank Cash+ Signature $10,000/ Ace US Bank Signature $10,000 / Sam's Mastercard $8000
/ Walmart Mastercard $8000 / Discover IT $5000 / Care Credit $5000
/ Husqvarna $5000 / PayPal SmartConnect $4800 / Cap1 Quicksilver $4000 / Barclay Ring $3550
Last App 8/12/14 /

Valued Member
Maximuss

Well I tried this fully expecting not to get anywhere specially since I tried for the Sportsman's Guide Visa. To my surprise I was approved for $2500.00 with a very thin file and a CA from 2.5 years ago. Even if it was a hard pull it was worth it to me. When you're rebuilding you take what you can get. I have a secured BofA and now this card. Just trying to decide if accepting the J Crew pre-approval that also popped for me is a good idea too to have 3 TL reporting or if I should stop here. Any suggestions? 

Mega Contributor
coldnmn

Maximuss wrote:

Well I tried this fully expecting not to get anywhere specially since I tried for the Sportsman's Guide Visa. To my surprise I was approved for $2500.00 with a very thin file and a CA from 2.5 years ago. Even if it was a hard pull it was worth it to me. When you're rebuilding you take what you can get. I have a secured BofA and now this card. Just trying to decide if accepting the J Crew pre-approval that also popped for me is a good idea too to have 3 TL reporting or if I should stop here. Any suggestions? 

Whoo! Hoo! Congrats! Definately worth a hp!

My Wallet /US Bank Cash+ Signature $10,000/ Ace US Bank Signature $10,000 / Sam's Mastercard $8000
/ Walmart Mastercard $8000 / Discover IT $5000 / Care Credit $5000
/ Husqvarna $5000 / PayPal SmartConnect $4800 / Cap1 Quicksilver $4000 / Barclay Ring $3550
Last App 8/12/14 /

Valued Member
Maximuss

coldnmn wrote:

Maximuss wrote:

Thank you!!! Sure was nice to see approved on the screen.

Super Contributor
longtimelurker

coldnmn wrote:

I have read where when you accept the card they do a hp so very much YMMV!

That would very much defeat the purpose of the shopping card trick, so if that happens, that is very much the exception.

CSP, Freedom, Chase Amazon, Cap One QS (x2), Penfed Plat Rewards (x2), Citi Double Cash, Citi Dividend, Citi AA Plat Select, Citi Forward, Amex BCE, Amalgamated Bank, Sallie Mae, Cash Plus, Fid Amex, NASA Plat Cash
Scores May 14: EQ 848, EX 833, TU 848 (Sep)
Super Contributor
longtimelurker

Maximuss wrote:

coldnmn wrote:

Maximuss wrote:

Yes, $2,500 is great.   My concern with the shopping cart approach is when people are getting tiny lines, and wrecking their AAoA, just to avoid HPs which go away anyway.

CSP, Freedom, Chase Amazon, Cap One QS (x2), Penfed Plat Rewards (x2), Citi Double Cash, Citi Dividend, Citi AA Plat Select, Citi Forward, Amex BCE, Amalgamated Bank, Sallie Mae, Cash Plus, Fid Amex, NASA Plat Cash
Scores May 14: EQ 848, EX 833, TU 848 (Sep)
Valued Member
Maximuss

It only asked for last 4 of SS. so I highly doubt it can be a HP. But I guess anything can happen. Regardless, I can't really complain.

Valued Member
Maximuss

longtimelurker wrote:

Maximuss wrote:

coldnmn wrote:

Maximuss wrote:

Yes, $2,500 is great.   My concern with the shopping cart approach is when people are getting tiny lines, and wrecking their AAoA, just to avoid HPs which go away anyway.

So you would advice against pulling the trigger on J Crew just to pad the file a little since it's pretty thin?

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}