Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shopping Cart Trick

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Shopping Cart Trick

I was speaking with my older sister this morning. She was telling me how she recieved most of her cards from the shopping cart trick. She also said that you can build your credit better if you are an authorized user on someone's credit card. I'm going to have to stick with her for about a year and my credit should be excellent. It's nice to have some motivation and encourgement from an older sibling Smiley Happy 

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

Re: Shopping Cart Trick

@Anonymous wrote:

I was speaking with my older sister this morning. She was telling me how she recieved most of her cards from the shopping cart trick. She also said that you can build your credit better if you are an authorized user on someone's credit card. I'm going to have to stick with her for about a year and my credit should be excellent. It's nice to have some motivation and encourgement from an older sibling Smiley Happy 

I don't know if its the best idea to grab cards via shopping cart trick since you may never use them. Also being added via AU doesn't always help your credit scores. Depending on which CRA they pull from. 08 Scores i don't think take AU accounts into account at all. 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 2 of 6
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

Shopping cart trick is good if you shop at their store. If you don't it can be a problem if you have a lot of new accounts and apply for a card you need (rewards etc). The new trade lines can bring down your credit score by lowering your AAoAs. That is just my opinion.

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 3 of 6
FocusedAndDetermined
Senior Contributor

My daughter is an authorized user on my VS, but that TL does not appear on any of her reports.  It is hit or miss (more miss) with store cards reporting AUs on CBRs.  You would be better being added to a bank card, AMEX, Discover, Chase, etc.

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow Everybody. I did not realize this. I only did the shopping cart trip for stores that I shop at frequently which are Victoria's Secret, Express and New York and Company. Thanks for all the needed advice Smiley Happy 

Message 5 of 6
elim
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

stick with these guys and you will have the credit you are after.   :]   

stick with these guys and you and sis can compare AMEX sign-up bonuses, CHASE siggys, and 0% new car loan   :]

stick with these guys and you just may be giving her advice   :]

check in often...  read read read

i check for new posts usually everyday and read them all as there is usually something in there for me. 

congrats to you and sis,  you're both doing great. i wish i had some advice from my family early on...  sounds like you have a nice relationship.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.