cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shopping cart trick credit card question How many cards is too much?

tag
Juzam
Established Member

Shopping cart trick credit card question How many cards is too much?

Hello, so a couple days ago I came across the Shopping cart trick.  I have received two credit cards, one with HSN and another with Avenue within 24 hours.

How many is a safe number to do in a short time span?  Should I wait at least a month for another one?  I have read people saying that getting too many at once will cause them all to get closed down.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
parakleet
Valued Contributor

Re: Shopping cart trick credit card question How many cards is too much?

How many is too many really depends on an individual's overall CR. If one has a thin file with inadequate income and you open a ton of accounts all at once, you might raise some red flags. Also possible whether all of the new accounts are from the same bank or not. Also possible that opening a ton of cards from the same bank within a short period could raise flags notwithstanding thickness of file or income level. Basically, YEMV so don't go crazy but I don't think you have anything to worry about with two. You could probably be okay with a couple more but again, really depends on your CR.

Gardening since 7/16/14
Current: EQ 711 7/13/14; EX 724 TU 721 6/19/14
Goal: 760+
Message 2 of 9
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

+1

IMO, I don't conduct 'sprees' with the same lender and I have a thick file. I don't consider 2 a spree but anything over is IMO. I would leave it alone for now.
Message 3 of 9
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

Remember credit is not a race but a journey.  Congrats on your cards!

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 4 of 9
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

I think more than 1 Comenity card is too many.  Next to my list of regrets in life are my Comenity cards.  There's much better options out there.

Message 5 of 9
MYCherie
Regular Contributor

@B335is wrote:

I think more than 1 Comenity card is too many.  Next to my list of regrets in life are my Comenity cards.  There's much better options out there.

+! I have 3 and yet to receive an increase.

Starting: 563 | Current: 646 | Goal: 750.
Garden 09/24/2013

Message 6 of 9
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@B335is

Thankfully, I stopped at one- closed it just last week.
Message 7 of 9
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@09Lexie wrote:
+1

IMO, I don't conduct 'sprees' with the same lender and I have a thick file. I don't consider 2 a spree but anything over is IMO. I would leave it alone for now.

+2

Quality over quantity, especially if you're dealing with the same lender.

Message 8 of 9
Juzam
Established Member

Thanks all for the input.  I will just leave these two for now as it is.  I actually will use the HSN card, it was more exciting to see that I qualifed more than anything.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.