cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shopping cart trick for Visa or MasterCard?

tag
Airforcekid
Established Member

Re: Shopping cart trick for Visa or MasterCard?

I read through the thread but couldn't figure out what a shopping cart trick is?

NFCU Cashrewards $3,500| Navcheck $7,500| Discover IT $500| AMEX $6000| CS:724
Message 21 of 28
mrvoicelc
New Contributor

I took HP for Total Rewards MC

Message 22 of 28
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Airforcekid wrote:

I read through the thread but couldn't figure out what a shopping cart trick is?

It's a pre-approval through a checkout where it's a SP for what turns out to be a junk tradeline for the vast majority of people.

I don't understand it, if you have 3 cards + some installment tradeline that's pretty much all that's required for scoring purposes long term outside of not missing a payment... and store cards don't carry the same weight for underwriting: any underwriter worth a darn will know exactly how the tradeline was obtained anyway, and if they see new accounts, will just make the assumption it was either this trick or that the inquiry just landed on a different report they didn't pull.

In short it saves minimal points (if any), doesn't help avoid the review by underwriting if they look at it, and are on low quality tradelines.  

Put simply, unless you shop there regularly anyway and the rewards make sense, skip it same as any other store card in my estimation: too easy to get far better in the current market.

        
Message 23 of 28
Airforcekid
Established Member

Thanks that's pretty close to what I was guessing.

NFCU Cashrewards $3,500| Navcheck $7,500| Discover IT $500| AMEX $6000| CS:724
Message 24 of 28
Puertorican_COP
Established Member

Ive had no luck getting vitacost & coldwater creek Smiley Sad

guess theres no more soft pull mastercards or visa. 

Scores 4/20/2014: TU FICO: 717 | EQ FAKO: 771 | EX FICO: 751

Current cards in my wallet: Macy's Amex (AU) - $1000 spend limit and $2000 store limit, Discover IT $750, Capital One Quicksilver Visa $1000, Chase Freedom Visa $3000, Fuel Rewards Network MC $4500, Sportsman's Guide Visa $8000, J Crew Store Card $1000, Express Store Card $750
Message 25 of 28
zeedakay

I tried a bunch of different sites and haven't gotten one pop-up. Maybe it's because I opted out of third party and affiliate marketing? 

_______________________________________________________________________________________
Current Scores: EQ FICO 685 (03/25/2014), EX N/A, TU FICO 697 (04/14/2014)
Silver Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 12/2013 - No apps until 2015
Starting Score: 535
Current Score: 697
Goal Score: 750

Message 26 of 28
Puertorican_COP
Established Member

@zeedakay wrote:

I tried a bunch of different sites and haven't gotten one pop-up. Maybe it's because I opted out of third party and affiliate marketing? 

I think so. maybe you should opt in? and I am going to keep trying to see if I get vitacost mastercard pop-up

Scores 4/20/2014: TU FICO: 717 | EQ FAKO: 771 | EX FICO: 751

Current cards in my wallet: Macy's Amex (AU) - $1000 spend limit and $2000 store limit, Discover IT $750, Capital One Quicksilver Visa $1000, Chase Freedom Visa $3000, Fuel Rewards Network MC $4500, Sportsman's Guide Visa $8000, J Crew Store Card $1000, Express Store Card $750
Message 27 of 28
NoAnchoviesPlease
Established Contributor

If you opt out of pre-screened offers, you probably won't get pre-screened (SP) offers from these websites. That's my understanding at least. The pre-screened offers you get in snail mail are about the same, just take a bit longer to get to you. 

12/29/2015 669/696/706
01/10/2016 698/711/730 but still to and fro a bit

Climbing to 700 and beyond. It's too cold for gardening.
Message 28 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.