cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Short credit history; should I try applying for the Barclaycard Arrival Plus?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Short credit history; should I try applying for the Barclaycard Arrival Plus?

I have a credit history of only about 2-3 months, but my credit score according to TransUnion (CapitalOne free credit check) is 724.

I'm thinking of applying for the Barclaycard Arrival Plus. Some reviews here https://www.creditkarma.com/creditcard/CCBarclays1244 mentioned they got approved with relatively short credit history, with one of them having only 1 month of credit history! Should I try applying? I'm just wondering what the repercussions would be if I were to be rejected -- would it hurt my chance of applying for a different credit card like the CSP when I hit my 6-month credit history?

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

Re: Short credit history; should I try applying for the Barclaycard Arrival Plus?

We need more information current cards and credit limits any baddies etc.

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 2 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Short credit history; should I try applying for the Barclaycard Arrival Plus?

Dude you need some history on your belt before trying to go prime time.
Message 3 of 17
rlx01
Established Contributor

What's your income?

Message 4 of 17
ExplicitElicit
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I have a credit history of only about 2-3 months, but my credit score according to TransUnion (CapitalOne free credit check) is 724.

I'm thinking of applying for the Barclaycard Arrival Plus. Some reviews here https://www.creditkarma.com/creditcard/CCBarclays1244 mentioned they got approved with relatively short credit history, with one of them having only 1 month of credit history! Should I try applying? I'm just wondering what the repercussions would be if I were to be rejected -- would it hurt my chance of applying for a different credit card like the CSP when I hit my 6-month credit history?

You don't generate a FICO until 6 months so I would really wait. Plus the longer you wait the larger a CL you will be initially granted. Don't rush your credit, just let it grow.

Message 5 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

coldnmn: Sorry my bad for missing out on info! I only have a CapitalOne Quicksilver One Card with a $300 CL (they didn't give me a secured card even though I have no credit history, which is pretty neat). I only recently moved to the US. I'm also an AU on my husband's Delta Amex Gold card, and his BoA rewards card. Right now only his Amex card is appearing on my credit report (which I saw from both Credit Karma and Capital One's Credit Tracker).

Nixon: That's true. =/ I'm just tempted to apply for this card after reading about people getting approved for this card despite having little credit history.

rlx01: Household income is $40k; I'm still currently looking for a job.

@ExplicitElicit wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

You don't generate a FICO until 6 months so I would really wait. Plus the longer you wait the larger a CL you will be initially granted. Don't rush your credit, just let it grow.

Ah I see.. that's good advice. I guess I'll be more patient. Thanks for the advice!

Message 6 of 17
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

Hello,

Since you're new to the country and are still looking for a job, my suggestion will be

1) Wait for 6 months before applying for a second credit card. Make payments in full to existing credit card. Let the history of your own card and the AU cards grow. Make sure you don't miss any payment.

2) Read about different cards here. Make sure you apply to the card you need the most. For example, if you need a good card to purchase gas and groceries, a Sallie Mae mastercard (from Barclays again) might be better than Arrival+.

3) Do not trust blindly the scores given by Credit Karma; for new card holders, the scores often start at 720; it's akin to no-file or thin-file. Once you do manage to get a Barclay's or a Discover, you'll get monthly free FICO scores, they're a better indicator of your credit than the CK. The CK is a great monitoring tool.

4) Apply for credit after getting a job. It's not a necessary requirement, but I personally feel having access to credit should come after having own income. It is about the discipline, but it's my personal opinion again.

Message 7 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Ghoshida wrote:

Hello,

Since you're new to the country and are still looking for a job, my suggestion will be

1) Wait for 6 months before applying for a second credit card. Make payments in full to existing credit card. Let the history of your own card and the AU cards grow. Make sure you don't miss any payment.

2) Read about different cards here. Make sure you apply to the card you need the most. For example, if you need a good card to purchase gas and groceries, a Sallie Mae mastercard (from Barclays again) might be better than Arrival+.

3) Do not trust blindly the scores given by Credit Karma; for new card holders, the scores often start at 720; it's akin to no-file or thin-file. Once you do manage to get a Barclay's or a Discover, you'll get monthly free FICO scores, they're a better indicator of your credit than the CK. The CK is a great monitoring tool.

4) Apply for credit after getting a job. It's not a necessary requirement, but I personally feel having access to credit should come after having own income. It is about the discipline, but it's my personal opinion again.

Thanks Ghoshida! I appreciate your advice.

One question, do you know anything about the credit score provided by CapitalOne? Is that a FAKO too?

Message 8 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Ghoshida wrote:

Hello,

One question, do you know anything about the credit score provided by CapitalOne? Is that a FAKO too?

Yes, it's a FAKO.

Message 9 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Ghoshida wrote:

Hello,

Yes it is. Based off the CK score even.

On another note. Just to put some reference in on this. I'm just now getting back into prime card territory myself after 3 years of sub-prime hell after 2 Charge offs 6 years ago and a couple of medical collections..

This is even with a personal income higher than your current household income and a household income over 100K.

Time is gold when it comes to credit profiles.

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.