Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Short history, what to apply for next? Long-term goal: CSP&AMEX

tag
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

Re: Short history, what to apply for next? Long-term goal: CSP&AMEX

@Revelate wrote:

TMWC: were you a USBank customer prior to your establishing the credit cards or did you have extensive installment history?  Having a tough time seeing that Cash+ approval after one year on the secured card otherwise, but many thanks for posting it!  Interesting to see some of the minimum underwriting standards shown by your experience, does look a Sallie Mae would be in the cards in this case.

The Cash+ cards were product changes. First card I applied for a Platinum. Second card I applied for Cash+ and got Cash Rewards instead. I PC'd them once they each reached 6 months/statements old. I had no credit history whatsoever before obtaining the secured card, other than almost 2 years prior I applied for 2 cards online, and was denied (obviously, since I had no FICO scores).

I did have a banking relationship, but it was just two checking accounts, and only for a couple years. 

When I applied for the Platinum my Fico was 732 and starting limit was $8500

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 11 of 18
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Themanwhocan wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

TMWC: were you a USBank customer prior to your establishing the credit cards or did you have extensive installment history?  Having a tough time seeing that Cash+ approval after one year on the secured card otherwise, but many thanks for posting it!  Interesting to see some of the minimum underwriting standards shown by your experience, does look a Sallie Mae would be in the cards in this case.

The Cash+ cards were product changes. First card I applied for a Platinum. Second card I applied for Cash+ and got Cash Rewards instead. I PC'd them once they each reached 6 months/statements old. I had no credit history whatsoever before obtaining the secured card, other than almost 2 years prior I applied for 2 cards online, and was denied (obviously, since I had no FICO scores).

I did have a banking relationship, but it was just two checking accounts, and only for a couple years. 

When I applied for the Platinum my Fico was 732 and starting limit was $8500

Thanks for the info senor, I had thought one was a PC and other was a straight approval, I likely should've taken the shot on my last spree round, but I really really need to optimize my restaurant habit out of my lifestyle anyway =/.

        
Message 12 of 18
SOGGIE
Valued Contributor

Wait until you've had the Chase Freedom for 1 year, then app for both the Discover and the Sapphire Preferred on the same day. A small app spree won't hurt.
Life was a lot simpler when what we honored was father and mother, rather than all major credit cards. ~Robert Orben
Message 13 of 18
Beckhsrules
Frequent Contributor

I am just 6 months of history and I am currently having a AMEX Blue and AMEX PRG. You are well set to try out your chance with AMEX. AMEX is the card with the highest limit in my wallet with one having a 2k limit while the other is a NPSL. I checked the spending eligibility on the AMEX site and it said that I am approved for a 4k purchase right now. I didnt try a higher limit as I dont want to get a FR. May be some time in the next month will go ahead and try a bigger amount like 5k and  check whether I am approved or not. All the best for your approvals Smiley Happy 

AAoA: 1 yr 3 mo | FICO Scores: EX: 720, TU: 724, EQ: 705 | Inq: EX: 13, EQ: 8, TU: 7 | GARDENING AS OF 3/13/2017
Message 14 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hm, interesting! Did you first apply for the PRG? What was the limit of your first card?

Message 15 of 18
Beckhsrules
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hm, interesting! Did you first apply for the PRG? What was the limit of your first card?

I came to US in Jan. I got my AMEX Blue in May starting and I got my PRG just yesterday Smiley Happy 

AAoA: 1 yr 3 mo | FICO Scores: EX: 720, TU: 724, EQ: 705 | Inq: EX: 13, EQ: 8, TU: 7 | GARDENING AS OF 3/13/2017
Message 16 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow, and how come you had a credit score? Instant approval to Amex Blue without previous cards or credit history?

Message 17 of 18
Beckhsrules
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Wow, and how come you had a credit score? Instant approval to Amex Blue without previous cards or credit history?

It wasnt an instant approval. THey asked me income statements and was approved after I submitted them. Before the AMEX I had a BoA secured card from Jan.

Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.