cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shot down by Penfed again and stumped, any ideas on why?

tag
tehdrizzle
New Contributor

Shot down by Penfed again and stumped, any ideas on why?

So I applied again with Penfed for their Penfed Promise card since I would like to move everything over to them and was again denied for their card.  I have no idea why but they are telling me that I have to short of an account history and I have too much revolving debt.

Credit scores just pulled this month before my inquiry and I have 1 inquiry in the last 12 months, an 825 with TU and an 812 with EX.  My WIfe and I combine to make roughly 140k per year and I have just over $50k that I had planned to move over there.  I sent in a second opinion request and told them all of this and they shot it down for the same reasons above.  Any thoughts or ideas on this?  I just figure they don't want any new members or you have to have a solid 850 score and/or ZERO revolving debt.

United Federal Credit Union Visa CL - $1,000 / Owed - $0

Citi Thank You Visa CL - $6,500 / Owed - $1,000 from balance transfer

Citi Simplicity Mastercard CL - $3,000 / Owed - $0

Best Buy store credit card CL - $3,800 / Owed - $0

Chase Mastercard CL - $3,000 / Owed - $0

Summit Racing credit card CL - $2,200 / Owed - $0

Mortgage - Owed - $124,000 / Original amount - $215,000

2012 Hyundai Elantra - Owed - $8750 / Original amount - $16125

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
CreditChampion
Frequent Contributor

Re: Shot down by Penfed again and stumped, any ideas on why?

Call and speak with a supervisor

Fico Scores:800+Club

Marvel MC 25K AMEX BCE 18K AMEX Blue Sky 13.6K AMEX BCE 13.5K AMEX Zync
NPSL(AU) Citi Double Cash 14.5K PenFed Plat Rewards 14.5K Citi Forward 10.3k Discover it 9.5K Wells Fargo Cash Back 7.2K BankAmericard Better Balance $700 Chase Freedom $500 Capital One Quicksilver $6K Capital One Platinum (AU) $500 Capital One Secured Card (AU) $251(Closed) PenFed PLOC 14K
PenFed Promise 5K
Message 2 of 19
mr_postman
Regular Contributor

Penfed is a tough cookie to break out all the CU from what I've read here either they like you or they don't there's no middle
Message 3 of 19
distantarray
Established Contributor

@tehdrizzle wrote:

So I applied again with Penfed for their Penfed Promise card since I would like to move everything over to them and was again denied for their card.  I have no idea why but they are telling me that I have to short of an account history and I have too much revolving debt.

Credit scores just pulled this month before my inquiry and I have 1 inquiry in the last 12 months, an 825 with TU and an 812 with EX.  My WIfe and I combine to make roughly 140k per year and I have just over $50k that I had planned to move over there.  I sent in a second opinion request and told them all of this and they shot it down for the same reasons above.  Any thoughts or ideas on this?  I just figure they don't want any new members or you have to have a solid 850 score and/or ZERO revolving debt.

United Federal Credit Union Visa CL - $1,000 / Owed - $0

Citi Thank You Visa CL - $6,500 / Owed - $1,000 from balance transfer

Citi Simplicity Mastercard CL - $3,000 / Owed - $0

Best Buy store credit card CL - $3,800 / Owed - $0

Chase Mastercard CL - $3,000 / Owed - $0

Summit Racing credit card CL - $2,200 / Owed - $0

Mortgage - Owed - $124,000 / Original amount - $215,000

2012 Hyundai Elantra - Owed - $8750 / Original amount - $16125

only thing that make me question your statement is your credit limits are ridiculously low for your scores / income. Did things fall off recently? or did you dispute somethingsoff? cause they could use a company like innovis or few other reporting bureaus that are not mainstream who could have documentations of derogs that was removed from the top 3 but not the side ones.

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 4 of 19
trishdadish
Regular Contributor

"cause they could use a company like innovis or few other reporting bureaus that are not mainstream who could have documentations of derogs that was removed from the top 3 but not the side ones."

However: Isn't it illegal for a company to evaluate you using information from a CRA that they won't/don't disclose to you? If you are turned down for credit, aren't you entitled to a letter stating what report was used, so that you have an opportunity to obtain a free report, review it, and verify that the contents are valid?

All 3 bureaus (per Amex CreditSecure FAKO) are still 748 (as of 12/19/13). Cards: Discover It, $12,100, Chase Freedom $3,300, Chase Amazon $1,500, Walmart store $11,000, AMEX Zync NPSL, Costco Amex $14,700. US. Bank Cash +, $5,000. AMEX SPG $6,000, PenFed Plat. Cash Rewards $17,500, PenFed P-LOC $10,000, Citi Forward $5,100, Chase Slate $5,000, Old Navy, $2,200.
Message 5 of 19
distantarray
Established Contributor

@trishdadish wrote:

"cause they could use a company like innovis or few other reporting bureaus that are not mainstream who could have documentations of derogs that was removed from the top 3 but not the side ones."

However: Isn't it illegal for a company to evaluate you using information from a CRA that they won't/don't disclose to you? If you are turned down for credit, aren't you entitled to a letter stating what report was used, so that you have an opportunity to obtain a free report, review it, and verify that the contents are valid?

it's not illegal cause you can still get reports from them, innovis corelogic etc are out there. but then if your talking about illegal or not shouldn't it be illegal that people sell us useless scores which are what people THINK our scores should be and not relatable to what is actually used? we should be able to obtain ANY form of score that is used to deterime our worthiness or the lack of without having to run around in circles and buying tons of useless scores before we figure things out..

The world isn't fair  especially in credit. There is NO valid reason why anyone paying my 4-5year old debts last year dropps credit scores. Remember scores is a business, and they willdo anything to keep you down.

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 6 of 19
trishdadish
Regular Contributor

I know that it's not "fair," and that the deck is stacked in favor of the various companies, etc, and is stacked against the consumer.

If PenFed is using another CRA's report(s) to make their credit decisions, but they aren't telling the rejected consumer which one they're using, the consumer is effectively denied a means to have access to these data. For even if they are free, how would the consumer know where to go and what to ask for, without this information being provided to them?

I'm just wondering why Innovis would be able to get a pass, but not EQI, TU, and EXP.

All 3 bureaus (per Amex CreditSecure FAKO) are still 748 (as of 12/19/13). Cards: Discover It, $12,100, Chase Freedom $3,300, Chase Amazon $1,500, Walmart store $11,000, AMEX Zync NPSL, Costco Amex $14,700. US. Bank Cash +, $5,000. AMEX SPG $6,000, PenFed Plat. Cash Rewards $17,500, PenFed P-LOC $10,000, Citi Forward $5,100, Chase Slate $5,000, Old Navy, $2,200.
Message 7 of 19
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

OP, util was too high! Smiley Very Happy

j/k of course, but in the eyes of Penfed, it might not be too far off. IME, they'll pull EQ only. I've been turned down with FICOs above 750 and util in the teens. They are really uber-sensitive to inquiries inside a year and they like to label everyone as a debt pyramider, whatever that means. 

Message 8 of 19
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Those are bizarre denials! I would move to a different credit union. There are better organizations out there....
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 9 of 19
TNTransplant
Established Contributor

To echo what distantarray said, PenFed is apparently also extremely inquiry/new account sensitive, in addition to the other things.  I've read that they don't like any inquiries within the past year, and if they think you've been balance transferring/opening new accounts they'll use the "pyramiding debt" excuse as ilecs mentioned.

OP, I agree that your card limits don't reflect what one would typically see with your scores/income; this may have caused them to decline you when they did their review.  Have any of your accounts been opened within the past year?  And as an aside, they exclusively pull Equifax (they use a different FICO version - Pinnacle 2.0, and it rates revolving debt more heavily); score range is 150-900.  Weird. Smiley Indifferent

Starting Score: Jan 2012: EQ - 659, TU08 - 670, EX - ???
Current Score:April 2014: EQ - 772, TU08 - 782, EX - 754
Last App:3/21/14

Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.