cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shot down for Blue Cash, any thoughts?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Shot down for Blue Cash, any thoughts?

Is there anything else that I could/should do before applying again?  I was going to wait a month or two and then see what happens, but am not sure what is necessary or ideal timing to try again.  I will make sure that the balance on the card is reasonably low at that time and keep my fingers crossed.  Other than that I am waiting for my credit report to come in to check for anything out of the ordinary.

Also I just wanted to say thanks to all for the input.  It is much appreciated.

Message 11 of 21
Jlu
Established Contributor

If your balance is more than 30% of you're total limits then that is your probable cause for denial. Bringing these balances down will almost ensure you are successful in your next app. You can apply in 30 days.
AMEX BCP $35k | Citi Double Cash $30k | PenFed PlatRewards $25k | Barclaycard $40k | Chase Freedom $25k | BofA Cash Rewards $40K | US Bank Cash+ $4500 | Discover IT $25k | NASA Platinum-Advantage $40k | CapOne Quicksilver $15k | Amazon Card $10k | Ten years on myFICO from 510 to 780 scores
Message 12 of 21
DeadSpider
Frequent Contributor

I don't think it's a balance issue my wife was approved for 10K for BCP and had $6500 balance on CITI.

You lack revolving credit apply for 1 or 2 credit cards let them report and try again.

Look for a credit card you might use and apply.

Discover is good to have and Chase Freedom.

Message 13 of 21
swpopham
Established Contributor

I would open a Chase sapphire prefered. Amex picks and chooses who they like or don't like. They love my wife and hate me. We confirmed that, her account was perfect forever and as soon as I was added as a joint owner, FRed over and over again. Until we closed our business and personal cards and moved 40k a month spending over to chase. No issues what so ever.

"As long as the music is playing, you've got to get up and dance," he said. "We're still dancing."---Prince CEO Citi Bank

"Money isn't the most important thing in life, but it's reasonably close to oxygen on the "gotta have it" scale". ~Zig Ziglar
Message 14 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

I considered the Chase Sapphire but I think that my second choice after the Blue Cash would be the Barclaycard Rewards.  How long does it take for a new card to begin reporting, and how long should I wait before reapplying?  

Message 15 of 21
Cdnewmanpac
Established Contributor

Easiest way to track what has posted is through credit karma, which is free. They use TU, which is generally the slowest to report. Once credit karma alerts you to a new account, it is a safe bet it is reporting on the other two. Be careful with Barclays. They are notorious for cancelling or reducing credit limits if you have a bunch of inquiries within 6 months AFTER approval. Chase freedom, discover more and citi forward all seem more inclined towards thin files lately. As to when to apply, you could try right after the new cards report, but with the denial reasons you got, 6 months is more likely. Edited to uncorrect autocorrect.

In wallet: Ink Plus 10k, AMEX TE 25k. In bag: CSP 16k, USAA WMC 15k, Hyatt 13k, United MPE 12k, AMEX HHonors 3k. In SD: Cap 1 QS 5k, Discover IT 7k. FICO 08 says my EQ is now 844, was 510 in 2010.
Message 16 of 21
espnjunkie
Established Contributor

I would recommend trying to pay off any outstanding balances in full before applying for a credit card. It's easy to overlook utilization, but creditors may see your application as desparation for additional credit when you are already carrying balances. Not saying that's the only reason for denial, but is a possibility

“The real measure of your wealth is how much you’d be worth if you lost all your money.” ~Unknown
Citi Prestige World Elite Mastercard ($35,000.00), Merrill+ Visa Signature ($25,000.00), Amex BCP ($29,700.00), Amex Green (NPSL), Capital One Quicksilver World Mastercard ($10,000.00), Chase Ink Business Bold (NPSL)
TU-778 (12/03/2014))
EX (Plus) - 777 (10/21/2013)
EQ - 735 (April 2013)
Message 17 of 21
SwampSystems
Frequent Contributor

I was denied when applying for my BCE, and I called the same day. When looking over my app they realized a zero was missing from my income. They fixed the app and I was approved instantly. Try calling and see if there is anything more they can do.

Message 18 of 21
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I considered the Chase Sapphire but I think that my second choice after the Blue Cash would be the Barclaycard Rewards.  How long does it take for a new card to begin reporting, and how long should I wait before reapplying?  

This is a very good product with Barclays and they give nice CL's. I would recommend them.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 19 of 21
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

@OptimasPrime wrote:

Op I would pull your credit report from experian (or whoever amex put on your denial letter) to see what's going on. The denial reasons cited seem odd given your description of your credit history. 

Did you have a balance reporting on your wells Fargo card when you applied? If you had no balance reporting that could be a reason for the denial. for reference, a 1-9% balance reporting at the time of application would have been ideal.

OP,  don't be discouraged...  Pay before your statement cuts on your BOA card, and apply again.  You may want to look at a charge product or a co-branded Amex, such as Costco or Hilton one, as the criteria can be easier to meet..

dont be discouraged!

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 20 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.