cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shot down for CSP - should I recon for Freedom?

tag
charyot77
Regular Contributor

Shot down for CSP - should I recon for Freedom?

I was shot down for a Chase Sapphire Preferred and when I called the backdoor / recon line they said it was because I dont have experience with big limits.

I kind of hate the fact that I "wasted" an inquiry.  Would it be stupid to call the backdoor again and ask them to use my credit pull to get a Freedom card instead?

I figured that since I used the inquiry, I might as well get something....

Message 1 of 26
25 REPLIES 25
newportguy
Frequent Contributor

Re: Shot down for CSP - should I recon for Freedom?

I would... You have nothing to lose

Current Score: myFico EQ - 794 ( 11/ 29/2012 ) amexFico EX - 787 (10/15/2012) myFico TU - 780 (11/29/2012) Credit Sesame - 809 (02/04/2013) Goal Score * 800 Club *
****** Garden Club Member -- Last HP Jan 3rd 2013 *******
*** Amex - BCP 10 K * PenFed - CR 5 K * Amex - GDSM 5 K *
Discover - IT 5 K ***** NO MORE APPS FOR ME IN 2013 *****
Message 2 of 26
charyot77
Regular Contributor

@newportguy wrote:

I would... You have nothing to lose

Well it could lower my AAoA.  Does having a Freedom help with getting other Chase credit products?

Message 3 of 26
armbenderc
Valued Contributor

@charyot77 wrote:

I was shot down for a Chase Sapphire Preferred and when I called the backdoor / recon line they said it was because I dont have experience with big limits.

I kind of hate the fact that I "wasted" an inquiry.  Would it be stupid to call the backdoor again and ask them to use my credit pull to get a Freedom card instead?

What is your highest credit card limit?

Yes, I would try and ask for freedom card.

2013 Approvals: Discover IT - 3/1, Amex BCE - 3/4, CSP - 5/4, Barclay Ring - 6/12, BoA Privileges Cash - 6/27, Citi TY Preferred - 8/6, OCCU Duck - 11/4, USBank (Cash+) - 11/22, Wells Fargo - 12/21, Nordstrom - 12/29

12/19/2013, $100k+ Available Credit. Total Util: 0-1%
Message 4 of 26
charyot77
Regular Contributor

@armbenderc wrote:

@charyot77 wrote:

What is your highest credit card limit?

Yes, I would try and ask for freedom card.

My highest credit limit is a $4000 card from US Bank that I got in September.

Message 5 of 26
newportguy
Frequent Contributor

Any new card ( but Amex if you already have 1) will lower your AAoA. The Freedom will get you in the door with Chase if your approved.

Current Score: myFico EQ - 794 ( 11/ 29/2012 ) amexFico EX - 787 (10/15/2012) myFico TU - 780 (11/29/2012) Credit Sesame - 809 (02/04/2013) Goal Score * 800 Club *
****** Garden Club Member -- Last HP Jan 3rd 2013 *******
*** Amex - BCP 10 K * PenFed - CR 5 K * Amex - GDSM 5 K *
Discover - IT 5 K ***** NO MORE APPS FOR ME IN 2013 *****
Message 6 of 26
charyot77
Regular Contributor

@newportguy wrote:

Any new card will lower your AAoA. The Freedom will get you in the door with Chase if your approved.

Good point....has this been done before? I wonder if anyone else has asked for a lower tier card.

Message 7 of 26
RyVision
Valued Contributor

@charyot77 wrote:

@newportguy wrote:

Any new card will lower your AAoA. The Freedom will get you in the door with Chase if your approved.

Good point....has this been done before? I wonder if anyone else has asked for a lower tier card.

You could always call Chase and ask that very question.  Sometimes they are very personable, esp if you get the right person.  Just ask them if they can use the  credit report they pulled for you CSP application for consideration on a Freedom, you have a decent chance being you're asking for a lesser card (Freedom's CL's are all ranges).   Your stats are very much in line for a Freedom even if they don't think you've had enough exp with high enough limits for CSP.

It sure can't hurt to ask since you've already taken an HP for the CSP attempt.  Tell them you were thinking of looking into Discover, but since Chase already had your current report, you'd thought you'd call and ask about the possiblity with Freedom.   Smiley Wink

AKA 840flippedto480
Message 8 of 26
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

I'm not sure what you are asking is even allowed in the first place. Asking for Freedom is not reconsideration, but rather asking for a new card.

Beside, by doing that you won't be able to get sign up bonus on Freedom.

Message 9 of 26
charyot77
Regular Contributor

That's too bad.  Is the regular Sapphire card also a Signature card?

Message 10 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.