Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should Have Asked For 40 Thousand From Amex

tag
theoldnocreditmaster
Valued Member

Re: Should Have Asked For 40 Thousand From Amex

They never asked for one. Maybe because I had a bad day at work and called them to bitch them out because it's been on my mind for a bit over two years. Screw them. I got what I deserved, and so did they. Never will I owe them more than a few bucks a year to keep the card alive. It is a classic card since they do not issue them anymore.

Message 21 of 23
slickshoes182
New Contributor

Eh, I really wouldn't take it personally, let it bother you, or hold it against Amex. The same thing happened to me with Chase and BOA at the height of the credit crisis, even though my credit history is flawless. I did have a balance at that time (maybe ~50% util?) but not significant relative to my income.

Now my credit lines with both banks are higher than ever and I get regular 0% promo offers. I've since hit 90+% util across all of my cards, multiple times, with much higher balances, yet my credit lines keep getting increased and I have not had any adverse action since.

It was really a different situation with Lehman going under and everyone else looking for capital. Banks had to cut their credit exposure wherever they could in that environment. It was really all of the banks chasing balances... not something isolated to you or Amex. The recession impacted a lot of people that did nothing wrong. 

My lesson learned was: Try to have more credit then you think you will need... because some of it might be gone when you really need it!

Message 22 of 23
theoldnocreditmaster
Valued Member

You are much more eloquent than I Shoes... I said the same thing as you just a much longer winded version.  But it does seem that those who handled the crisis with their creditors have much more increases than the average cardholders. Whether, AMEX, BOS Chase or CITI. Strange but true, and I still won't ever trust AMEX again. I feel the need to play it safe with them

@slickshoes182 wrote:

Eh, I really wouldn't take it personally, let it bother you, or hold it against Amex. The same thing happened to me with Chase and BOA at the height of the credit crisis, even though my credit history is flawless. I did have a balance at that time (maybe ~50% util?) but not significant relative to my income.

Now my credit lines with both banks are higher than ever and I get regular 0% promo offers. I've since hit 90+% util across all of my cards, multiple times, with much higher balances, yet my credit lines keep getting increased and I have not had any adverse action since.

It was really a different situation with Lehman going under and everyone else looking for capital. Banks had to cut their credit exposure wherever they could in that environment. It was really all of the banks chasing balances... not something isolated to you or Amex. The recession impacted a lot of people that did nothing wrong. 

My lesson learned was: Try to have more credit then you think you will need... because some of it might be gone when you really need it!

the above quote was posted multiple times. I removed the duplicates

webhopper

MyFico Moderator

Message 23 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.