cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I App Spree? Please & Thank You for any advice...

tag
mondlight
Established Member

Should I App Spree? Please & Thank You for any advice...

I've been reading these forums for a couple of weeks and have learned a ton of things that I wish I knew prior!

My situation is this: I have a bk that is almost 8 years old - set to fall off my CR in 8/2015. Since my bk filing, I have applied for two things: a credit card and a car loan. The car has been paid off for a year, and the card is 5.5 years old. Due to reading the forums, I called on my card last weekend (Cap1 Platinum/Annual Fee $39) and requested an upgrade. They gave me my choice of products and upgraded me immediately to a VentureOne without pulling my credit. Yippee!!!

Now I feel as if I have wasted some time rebuilding my credit. When my bk falls off in two years, I would love to have a few additional positive revolving TLs showing on my report. I never realized that only having one cc could affect me adversely in creditor's eyes. I've literally shied away from credit since the bk because I've been terrified of a denial. So yeah... no inq's on any of my reports.

I am considering doing a mini app spree. I have no baddies, aside from the bk. I haven't paid one late payment since the bk, but I know my file is thin. I understand that my credit score may go down in the short term, but in two years, I think I would benefit more. What do you guys think? My current util is 17%, but my next payment will bring it down to 7%. The only cc I burned in the bk is Chase.

Cards I would like to have:

Discover It

Barclay's Rewards or Apple

Amazon Store Card

Any advice on what order I should app in if I go for these three? I'm a little nervous because I think they all pull TU. With my credit situation, are there any different cards I should be considering? Am I aiming too high with the Discover?

Seriously, any insight is very much appreciated! 

Starting Score: 693 (EQ myFICO), 667 (Credit Karma), 722 (Credit Sesame) as of 6/17/2013
Current Score: 700 (EQ myFICO), 671 (Credit Karma), 722 (Credit Sesame) as of 6/28/2013
Goal Score: 750+

Gardening until 1/1/2014 or later!

VentureOne $5500 // Discover It $1500 // Amazon Store $1800
Message 1 of 26
25 REPLIES 25
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: Should I App Spree? Please & Thank You for any advice...

@mondlight wrote:

I've been reading these forums for a couple of weeks and have learned a ton of things that I wish I knew prior!

My situation is this: I have a bk that is almost 8 years old - set to fall off my CR in 8/2015. Since my bk filing, I have applied for two things: a credit card and a car loan. The car has been paid off for a year, and the card is 5.5 years old. Due to reading the forums, I called on my card last weekend (Cap1 Platinum/Annual Fee $39) and requested an upgrade. They gave me my choice of products and upgraded me immediately to a VentureOne without pulling my credit. Yippee!!!

Now I feel as if I have wasted some time rebuilding my credit. When my bk falls off in two years, I would love to have a few additional positive revolving TLs showing on my report. I never realized that only having one cc could affect me adversely in creditor's eyes. I've literally shied away from credit since the bk because I've been terrified of a denial. So yeah... no inq's on any of my reports.

I am considering doing a mini app spree. I have no baddies, aside from the bk. I haven't paid one late payment since the bk, but I know my file is thin. I understand that my credit score may go down in the short term, but in two years, I think I would benefit more. What do you guys think? My current util is 17%, but my next payment will bring it down to 7%. The only cc I burned in the bk is Chase.

Cards I would like to have:

Discover It

Barclay's Rewards or Apple

Amazon Store Card

Any advice on what order I should app in if I go for these three? I'm a little nervous because I think they all pull TU. With my credit situation, are there any different cards I should be considering? Am I aiming too high with the Discover?

Seriously, any insight is very much appreciated! 

Welcome to the forum

I see you have done your homework and I just have one question have you pulled any scores?

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 26
mondlight
Established Member

Thank you! No, I haven't pulled any scores yet. I'm still confused about FAKO/FICO and what I can actually count on. I only have my Credit Karma (667) / Credit Sesame (722) to go off of at this point. Any recommendations?

Starting Score: 693 (EQ myFICO), 667 (Credit Karma), 722 (Credit Sesame) as of 6/17/2013
Current Score: 700 (EQ myFICO), 671 (Credit Karma), 722 (Credit Sesame) as of 6/28/2013

Message 3 of 26
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your rebuilding efforts thus far. Discover has been known to pull EQ or TU. afaik, Amazon Store ( GE backed) and Barclays is exclusive TU. Do you travel, want cash back?
Message 4 of 26
myjourney
Super Contributor

@mondlight wrote:

Thank you! No, I haven't pulled any scores yet. I'm still confused about FAKO/FICO and what I can actually count on. I only have my Credit Karma (667) / Credit Sesame (722) to go off of at this point. Any recommendations?

While CK and CS can be good for alert and other things the scores they give you are fake A.K.A.=FAKO

Fico scores which are sold here will you a better picture of were you are score wise=FICO

If your scores are pretty close to the Fako scores you have listed I would have a better chance at giving you advice but based on FAKO scores I wouldn't take a chance because they can be +/- 100pts

Before you app think...
Can you afford the AF?
Message 5 of 26
mondlight
Established Member

Thank you very much!

I'm open, really. I'd definitely like to have a solid cash back card, but I also travel a few times a year so travel rewards don't hurt either!

Message 6 of 26
mondlight
Established Member

Okay, I just signed up for the myFICO trial and it gives me my Equifax FICO at 693. 

Message 7 of 26
myjourney
Super Contributor

@mondlight wrote:

Okay, I just signed up for the myFICO trial and it gives me my Equifax FICO at 693. 

EQ is discover territory so I would say your chances are good for that...

GE cards such as the amazon pull TU scores also Barclay

Before you app think...
Can you afford the AF?
Message 8 of 26
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Message 9 of 26
myjourney
Super Contributor

@09Lexie wrote:
Since your bk is 8yrs old, why not Amex PRG?

Great travel reward card 

Before you app think...
Can you afford the AF?
Message 10 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.