cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I App Spree? Please & Thank You for any advice...

tag
kimmiller112
Frequent Contributor

Re: Should I App Spree? Please & Thank You for any advice...

If you are considering Barclays, I would go for that first as they are inquiry sensitive.  You should be fine with Discover.  I've had mine for a year and my bankruptcy was discharged October 2005, so I am just a few months newer than you on that.  Then I would go for Amazon last since that is GE - it will grow with you and it will grow fast.  I would hold off on the Amex.  I spoke to a few different reps and they were all consistant with the bankruptcy being at least 8 years old - you are just shy of that.  But what you could do is wait until these three (if you go for all three) have been reporting for 6 months, then go for Amex.

Good luck and keep us posted on what you do!

Barclays USAir World MC $8300 - DCU $7500 - USAA World MC $7000 - PayPal Extras MC (GE) $5500 - Chase Saphire Preferred $5000 - Discover It $6000 - Barclays Sallie May $2700 - Chase Freedom $1000 - Capital One $8500 (business) - store cards ranging from $500-$9500
Message 21 of 26
mondlight
Established Member

UPDATE:

Thanks to all for your advice and help! I thought long and hard about what I really need and want right now, and decided to apply for two of the cards on my wishlist last night: Discover It and Amazon Store card. (Not the Chase version)

Got the 5-7 day message on both.

Called Discover this morning and made an inquiry about my app. The rep asked me a few verifying questions and told me I was approved under different terms than what I applied for. Basically, instead of the 14 months introductory 0% APR, I am approved for 6 months introductory 0% APR with a CL of 1500. Smiley Happy I probably could have pushed on the CL, but I was just so happy to be approved! And they didn't even ask about the BK, what a relief! I know the card will grow with me.

Called GE backdoor a few minutes ago and was again asked to verify some information. The rep informed me I was instantly approved for 600. I told him I wanted to purchase a laptop using their financing offer, and asked if I could get a higher credit limit. He transferred me to another rep who verified further information (address, etc.) and asked the cost of the laptop (1300), then placed me on hold. She came back and told me the credit line is approved for 1800. Smiley Very Happy

So guys, I'm over the moon! I went from being terrified of new credit, to reading these forums, to getting great advice, to apping for two TLs that I am really going to get great use of. I'll probably app for Barclays in a year or so when I'm ready to buy an iMac, and then a year later, the dreaded bk will fall off my CRs. Smiley LOL

Thanks Again All!!!

Starting Score: 693 (EQ myFICO), 667 (Credit Karma), 722 (Credit Sesame) as of 6/17/2013
Current Score: 700 (EQ myFICO), 671 (Credit Karma), 722 (Credit Sesame) as of 6/28/2013
Goal Score: 750+

Gardening until 1/1/2014 or later!

VentureOne $5500 // Discover It $1500 // Amazon Store $1800
Message 22 of 26
myjourney
Super Contributor

@mondlight wrote:

UPDATE:

Thanks to all for your advice and help! I thought long and hard about what I really need and want right now, and decided to apply for two of the cards on my wishlist last night: Discover It and Amazon Store card. (Not the Chase version)

Got the 5-7 day message on both.

Called Discover this morning and made an inquiry about my app. The rep asked me a few verifying questions and told me I was approved under different terms than what I applied for. Basically, instead of the 14 months introductory 0% APR, I am approved for 6 months introductory 0% APR with a CL of 1500. Smiley Happy I probably could have pushed on the CL, but I was just so happy to be approved! And they didn't even ask about the BK, what a relief! I know the card will grow with me.

Called GE backdoor a few minutes ago and was again asked to verify some information. The rep informed me I was instantly approved for 600. I told him I wanted to purchase a laptop using their financing offer, and asked if I could get a higher credit limit. He transferred me to another rep who verified further information (address, etc.) and asked the cost of the laptop (1300), then placed me on hold. She came back and told me the credit line is approved for 1800. Smiley Very Happy

So guys, I'm over the moon! I went from being terrified of new credit, to reading these forums, to getting great advice, to apping for two TLs that I am really going to get great use of. I'll probably app for Barclays in a year or so when I'm ready to buy an iMac, and then a year later, the dreaded bk will fall off my CRs. Smiley LOL

Thanks Again All!!!

Congrats time for you to garden

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 23 of 26
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Message 24 of 26
mondlight
Established Member

Thank you! Yes, firmly in the garden for a year or so!

Starting Score: 693 (EQ myFICO), 667 (Credit Karma), 722 (Credit Sesame) as of 6/17/2013
Current Score: 700 (EQ myFICO), 671 (Credit Karma), 722 (Credit Sesame) as of 6/28/2013
Goal Score: 750+

Gardening until 1/1/2014 or later!

VentureOne $5500 // Discover It $1500 // Amazon Store $1800
Message 25 of 26
fargobzn
Contributor

Congrats and welcome to the Discover family!

Message 26 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.