03-14-2013 12:11 PM
Hello everyone! First off, I love this forum. I just wish I found it right after my BK. Ok, on to the question...
My BK was discharged on 2/2012. Since then I have 2 CC's (Credit One - $400 and Merrick Bank $1400). Merrick just increased my CC from $700 to $1400 last month. I didn't request it, it just happened since I've been on time. I just got a pre-approval from Cap One for their Platinum Master Card with 0% in the mail. Should I apply for this even if my current util is at 30%? Or should I wait until I pay down to <10%? There is an expiration date on this letter of 4/1. I should note that I did burn them in my BK.
Also, I just opened an account with NFCU since I've been reading so many good things about them. I want to include NFCU in my app spree as well.
I do have some INQ's because I was shopping for a car loan (before I found this wonderful website). But after thinking about it and since I still have a car that runs, I figured I would save up and work on my scores first. Then maybe purchase the car I want in a couple years.
My EQ is at 666... what a number!
03-14-2013 12:25 PM
03-14-2013 12:51 PM
Thanks Lexie! It's great to be here.
Why not app with Cap 1 if I'm a member of NFCU? Just wondering.
As for the auto loan shopping, it was definitely within a 2 week timeframe. According to my EQ on this site, I'm only showing 2 inqs. I haven't recently pulled my TU.
03-14-2013 01:00 PM
03-14-2013 01:10 PM
Don't app with 30% util. Get that util down to under 5% with only one card reporting a balance.
I would suggest you go for and NFCU card first, then the Cap1, then cancel the CreditOne. Merrick is ok in my book because you get a free score with it every month. to me that's worth the $3 monthly fee or whatever they charge.
03-14-2013 01:23 PM
Thank you both!
I will take your advice and wait and pay down my util to under 5%. I definitely want to get in with NCFU first so that's where I will app first.
If I were to app with both, how long should I wait between applications?
03-14-2013 01:29 PM
03-14-2013 02:01 PM - edited 03-14-2013 02:05 PM
Cap1 is kind of a useless card and they are stingy with their credit limits. I have it only because it was my first card and used it to build history. If you already have some other cards, just garden em a bit and go for a prime card. I'm new here so I don't really know how much impact the BK has but I do know you can get a Freedom with an upper 600 score. But like I said, I don't know how much the BK affects it but I know my brother got it with a score in the 600s and tons of late payments.
But I will guarentee that once your score goes up, the Cap1 is sockdrawered =) I'd personally garden and save the inq but still get the NCFU
03-14-2013 02:10 PM
I would love to go with Chase after my score gets better, but I've burned them in my BK. So I don't want to waste an inq on them. Same goes for Citi and Barclays. So for prime cards I'm looking at Amex and Discover. I did get a pre-approval letter from Discover, but I tossed it (this was before I found you guys).
So for now, I'll wait and drop my util down to <10% then app with NCFU for sure. I'd like to add a couple more to the mix. I'm open to suggestions!!!
03-14-2013 02:15 PM
myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.>> About myFICO