cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I App to Amex BCP w/ semi limited credit?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Should I App to Amex BCP w/ semi limited credit?

Hi All,

First post here. I have been reading on these boards for months now and have learned a lot about credit in that time. I currently have one CC (Still open, haven't used in 4 years, never late, always PIF when charged to) and I really want to app for an AMEX BCP card but don't know if I will get approved or not. I have paid with only cash for years and would like to take advantage of the 6% cash back offered by BCP since I spend most of my money on groceries each week.

My Current Situation:

Scores: EQ FICO: 744 | TU FICO: 739 | EX FICO: Unknown

Open Accounts from Credit Report: Wells Fargo Credit Card ($1200 CL, Open for 6 years 11 months, haven't used in 4 years, 0% Util)

Average age of Accounts: 6 years 11 months. Oldest Account: 6 years 11 months

Never Late

Have Always PIF

No Loans or Mortgages

Hard Pulls: 0

Derogatory/Negative/Collection/Leins: 0

Income: 40K

Do you think my chances are good for getting approved for Amex BCP given I only have one total account on my reports? If not, any recommendations on a good cash back card for grocery shopping?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

Re: Should I App to Amex BCP w/ semi limited credit?

I say go for it -

www.whogavemecredit.com

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 2 of 5
distantarray
Established Contributor

BCP is NOT a 6% card, but a 4.75%

After annual fee and $6000 limit :\

you should be MORE than fine, but surprised you didn't have a second card, but remember BCP is only limited to $6,000 at 6% a year now.

The benefit of this card is 6% upto $6,000 but that's $360 in savings annually so it might not be the best since there is a $75 annual fee. So that brings the savings down to $285 a year. So your only actually getting 4.75% back on your groceries =\

Depending on your lifestyle/spending habits another card could be much better. Although it is good to get your door in with Amex, another card could do much much better.

Personally I thought the BCP was a great card at start, but then realizing most my shopping is done at Walmart / Costco I don't really use this card enough to justify keeping it. Most frugal people would shop mainly this way. Hell I even buy meats at Omaha steaks, and toilet paper at Amazon cause I get better deals this way. I only spend about $20 a week at a grocery store these days.  (Omaha steaks are amazing cause I use ultimate rewards mall, and Chase points are worth upto 9cents a piece for me for my travel habits, so last month they had a 13 point promotion, so I got 780 points for $60 worth of steaks, if redeemed for first class tickets I basically got a $70 value towards first class, or about $30 for coach redemptions)

Explore all options and think of your lifestyle before you get a second card, this one's going to be a decent affect on your score bringing down your AAOA, but remember you should apply for a few on the same day Smiley Wink       

Also You should apply for US Bank Cash+ before anything, it is the BEST credit card to have if you love cash back / end of story. If you plan to travel soon Flexperks + United Mileage plus or club are clear winners in the travel world imo. Also Chase Ink business cards are undeniably the best cards for travel Smiley Wink but that's another story =x

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 3 of 5
SnackTrader
Valued Contributor

Re: BCP is NOT a 6% card, but a 4.75%

I got the card with only 6 months of revolving history and the scores shown in my signature, which aren't far off from yours. I say give it a try and get back to us!

In My Wallet: Amex BCP (12/12) $50,000, Chase Freedom (12/12) $16,500, Cap1 Quicksilver (6/12) $14,000, Barclaycard Rewards (5/13) $10,500, Citi Prestige (4/16) $30,000

Last App: June 27, 2015
Message 4 of 5
jake619
Frequent Contributor

Re: BCP is NOT a 6% card, but a 4.75%

I thought BCP w/ the $250 sign-up/minimum spend bonus beats CASH+.  Also  the CASH+ structure is heavily rumored to be changing very soon and the categories rotate vs. BCP being static all year.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.