cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I Apply for a GE Card? My Situation...

tag
YoungMoney06
Frequent Contributor

Should I Apply for a GE Card? My Situation...

Am I Eligible? Please read...

Not too long ago, I was wanting to apply for two GE store cards, however, I wasn't sure exactly whether it was the right time to or not. I asked on the board and the consensus was to hold out, mainly due to a lack of supportive report.

Here are some changes since then:

1. Recent collections account has been removed from all three reports

2. Recently, within' the last few days, have paid off an installment account which is likely to be reported to my credit report

3. Have one credit card with a $1,200 credit limit. Latest utilization reported of 79% a month ago. Planning to pay off utilization down to 5% as of tomorrow with tax return. All bills have been paid for four months straight since receiving the card in November 2012

4. Currently have one good account reporting from 2010. One negative account from Cap1 for credit card from 2007, will drop off March 2014

With all the above facts, will I be a potential candidate to apply for a GE store card, or two, and have approval? Or should I wait a bit longer.

I checked my Experian score about a week ago and it was at 611 in December, dropped to 590 in January (recent collections was being disputed, plus high utilization rate), and has recently went back up to 620 a week ago. I will be checked my TU score tomorrow. Last checked in December and had 652. EQ (unknown.)

Thanks to everyone for their response.

My Wallet (Updated Sept 2023):
Store Cards:

Major Cards:

In Timeout:

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: Should I Apply for a GE Card? My Situation...

@YoungMoney06 wrote:

Am I Eligible? Please read...

Not too long ago, I was wanting to apply for two GE store cards, however, I wasn't sure exactly whether it was the right time to or not. I asked on the board and the consensus was to hold out, mainly due to a lack of supportive report.

Here are some changes since then:

1. Recent collections account has been removed from all three reports

2. Recently, within' the last few days, have paid off an installment account which is likely to be reported to my credit report

3. Have one credit card with a $1,200 credit limit. Latest utilization reported of 79% a month ago. Planning to pay off utilization down to 5% as of tomorrow with tax return. All bills have been paid for four months straight since receiving the card in November 2012

4. Currently have one good account reporting from 2010. One negative account from Cap1 for credit card from 2007, will drop off March 2014

With all the above facts, will I be a potential candidate to apply for a GE store card, or two, and have approval? Or should I wait a bit longer.

I checked my Experian score about a week ago and it was at 611 in December, dropped to 590 in January (recent collections was being disputed, plus high utilization rate), and has recently went back up to 620 a week ago. I will be checked my TU score tomorrow. Last checked in December and had 652. EQ (unknown.)

Thanks to everyone for their response.

Once your reports update and your scores are around 620 on TU you should be good.  Make sure that your collections are gone, util low - you should be fine for Walmart. 

Message 2 of 19
TravisD
Contributor

+1 on Walmart. I was recently approved with a 650 FICO and 2 charge offs. Still got a $900 CL.
........???................659 (FICO)................659 (TU08) ........
Message 3 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

My wife with a credit karma score of 590 or so, with 2 collections, 3 CO, 4 lates on 2 different car loans from 09, and a 99% util on her cap1 cc got approved. The collections and the CO are from 2008/09, so they are old, and no new recent badies. I would say you should be fine. Also the week after she got her JCPenny card, she applied for an amazon one but got the will get an answer in the mail, she call recon and still got denied.

Message 4 of 19
YoungMoney06
Frequent Contributor

I think my denial was contributed to by the recent collection (more of a reaged account) that has since been removed. I applied for Wal Mart and Amazon with no luck. I'm considering applying for Wal-Mart at least. I should have a 652 TU score, 620 EX, and EQ is unknown. Finally, I have a 637 CreditKarma score. Has anyone been approved for an Amazon card with similar rankings?

Store Cards:

Major Cards:

In Timeout:

Message 5 of 19
colindidit
Established Contributor

You should apply for Walmart first this way you get your fico...then amazon...even old navy lol

Wallet: Barclay-5k, Citadel MC- 5k, Slate- 4k, Freedom- 3k, BOA- 3k, Citi- 2k, AMEXBCE- 2k and more...
Message 6 of 19
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

I'd bet you could get most GE cards, starting with limits in the $300-1000 range.

Easier cards are prob JCP & Walmart.
I got most of my GE accounts when I was in the 600-650 range and they have grown quite a bit!

GECRB also has that Paypal Platinum MC!! Maybe try that!

Good luck!
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 7 of 19
colindidit
Established Contributor

And if you do t get the plat mastercard you'll automatically get considered for the smart connect I started off at 300 and I'm at 3000 currently in 2 years.. Not a great increase as compared to 99 percent of the regulars here but
Wallet: Barclay-5k, Citadel MC- 5k, Slate- 4k, Freedom- 3k, BOA- 3k, Citi- 2k, AMEXBCE- 2k and more...
Message 8 of 19
TravisD
Contributor

Based on your TU score (walmart pulls TU exclusively 99% of the time) and no recent derogs you should have no issue with the walmart card.
........???................659 (FICO)................659 (TU08) ........
Message 9 of 19
YoungMoney06
Frequent Contributor

You will receive a decision by mail in the next 7–10 days. Please make a note of your application's reference number for your records: ******

Fixing to give up, I'm assuming this only means, once again, with a much cleaner report, I'll NEVER get approved for a GE card. Jesus, what does one have to do. I had a recent collections removed. My utilization may be the only thing hurting me right now, but with a 641 score, what more does a credit card need to see?? Bitter to see so many with worse circumstances (nobody on here) than I am get approved while I'm improving and not getting approvals.

Store Cards:

Major Cards:

In Timeout:

Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.