Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I Bother With Cap 1 EO for Venture Rewards

tag
Changingmantra
Established Contributor

Should I Bother With Cap 1 EO for Venture Rewards

Hello All - I have been thinking about contacting the Cap 1 EO office, but am not sure if  1. My situation can be helped 2. I shouldn't  just move on - and not look back.  

History - About 5 years ago I got Cap 1 with $500 limit - within 3 years it was slightly over $3000 - I called every six months - and always did what the CSR told me to do in order to secure CLI or lower APR.  Eventually, card was PC to the Cash card.  I was told that after 6 months with that card, my account would be eligible for a CLI to $5000.  Before then, there was lot of talk on the forums about the dreaded $3000 ceiling on some of the rebuilder cards - and over the years - I could not get a CSR to confirm or deny this story.  Anyway, the $5000 CL never happened -  I spoke with someone in May of 2012 and she insisted the only way to get a higher CL was to APPLY for a different card - She thought that with my history with C1 I would be approved.  Applied and DENIED!

I called back in frustration - spoke with someone at the BD number - Told her that within the past 8 months - I had been approved for both a Discover and Barclay card - both of which now had a higher CLs than the Cap 1 which I had had for 4 years.  I said I did not see any point in keeping a card that just was not growing with me.  I would not say she was rude - but a little curt - and quick to said, "We can just close your account!"  I agreed -

Shortly after that - I was bombarded with pre-approvals for Cap 1 cards.  I called and told a CSR - how as a customer in good standing for 4 years it made me angry that I was just denied for a card - but now they are trying to get me back - blah blah blah blah..... I never did reapply -  But I did call and ask if they could just reopen my account -  I was told no.

Currently -  I have Arrival $6200 - no bonus points because I PCed instead of applied - Discover IT $5000 -  just got Citi Simplicity $5000 and a CU card $5000.  I would really like a different travel rewards card - I want the Chase CSP - but I have not been able to get a foot in with Chase in about 5 tries over the past 3 years.   At this point, I am learning that it is not just the CL and cards - it is the type of customer service I receive that is also important.  As such, I never dread calling Discover - Barclay is OK - but not on the same lines as  Discover - and the one time I had to call Citi - I was surprised that the CS seemed to be of lesser quality than Discover as well -.  Somewhere, someone asked the question  to the effect of- If you are traveling out of the country and you need to call CS - who would you rather deal with - in making the point why one should go with Chase over other cards.

Now to my question -

1. Is the Venture Reward card and customer service top quality?

2. If so,  should I try to reopen my account and PC to that.  Do you think any of this is possible - or even worth it?

3. Should I just wait until I am eligible for a CSP - They say they are denying me because of late payments I made on a loan back in 2011.  It does not matter that the SAME CU gave me an even larger loan just a few months later - and I had a perfect payment history on that until I paid it off. 

My credit scores are 720-733 - 

Thanks -

*Note to self* Remember why and for how long you had to rebuild in the first place! One Day at a Time, One Day at a Time!
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Re: Should I Bother With Cap 1 EO for Venture Rewards

There have been reports that the EO can re open accounts..
As for a PC to Venture- I think you'd need a min $5000 cl to get the Visa Venture Signature.
I got the Venture one via PC. Already had a $5k cl. It's really nothing to brag about.. It's a little more golden and shiny than my Old Orchard Gold card, but you're better off getting an American Express.
Capital One is the epitome of mediocrity, BUT when they want you to PC, they will kiss your ass. I get American reps more often now than before w the Venture, buuuuuut...
You should email the EO to
A) re open the account
B) credit line increease
C) PC

:-)
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 2 of 8
Changingmantra
Established Contributor

@youngandcreditwrthy wrote:
There have been reports that the EO can re open accounts..
As for a PC to Venture- I think you'd need a min $5000 cl to get the Visa Venture Signature.
I got the Venture one via PC. Already had a $5k cl. It's really nothing to brag about.. It's a little more golden and shiny than my Old Orchard Gold card, but you're better off getting an American Express.
Capital One is the epitome of mediocrity, BUT when they want you to PC, they will kiss your ass. I get American reps more often now than before w the Venture, buuuuuut...
You should email the EO to
A) re open the account
B) credit line increease
C) PC

:-)

Got it -  Thank you very much!   Maybe that is the route I will go - Now, I have to hunt down this email address.

*Note to self* Remember why and for how long you had to rebuild in the first place! One Day at a Time, One Day at a Time!
Message 3 of 8
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

I'll send it to ya!
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 4 of 8
Changingmantra
Established Contributor

@youngandcreditwrthy wrote:
I'll send it to ya!

Thanks  - You rock - Will post outcome.

Message 5 of 8
MrSwiss
Valued Member

Would you send me the EO email info?

Swiss

Starting Score:EQ-642 --TU-632-- EX-?
Current Score:EQ-660 MyFico-- TU- 647 MyFico-- EX- 674 Quizzle
Goal Score:700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge NFCU vsig $14k -- NFCU PLat MC $14k - NAVChek $7.5K -- NFCU PLAT Visa $14k -Cap1 $1.5k--AMZ $700- Lowes $500- WALMART-$400
Message 6 of 8
red259
Super Contributor

I have the venture card and am satisfied with it. I do think you need to get a 5k credit line to get it. The customer service is average. They are nice and seem to be based in the US, but if your asking more advanced questions they will probably not be able to answer you. This is compared to Amex where I call in and get transferred to India, I can't understand them and some of them were abrasive. The calls to Amex was for applicants so card holders may go to a different number. I found chase csr to be good. I dealt with the discover fraud department one time when someone opened a card in my name without permission and found them to be much better than chase fraud unit.

How long did they say you had to wait before you can get the csp? If your going to be able to get it within 3 months then I would just wait. The venture card is a decent card but I'm not sure I would pick it up if I already had prime cards I was pleased with.
;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 7 of 8
Changingmantra
Established Contributor

@Redder wrote:
I have the venture card and am satisfied with it. I do think you need to get a K credit line to get it. The customer service is average. They are nice and seem to be based in the US, but if your asking more advanced questions they will probably not be able to answer you. This is compared to Ames where I call in and get transferred to India, I can't understand them and some of them were abrasive. The calls to Ames was for applicants so card holders may go to a different number. I found chase cars to be good. I dealt with the discover fraud department one time when someone opened a card in my name without permission and found them to be much better than chase fraud unit.

How long did they say you had to wait before you can get the CSP? If your going to be able to get it within 3 months then I would just wait. The venture card is a decent card but I'm not sure I would pick it up if I already had prime cards I was pleased with.

To be honest  - I do not know how long I have to wait on the CSP-   I figure I would give it another 6 months or so.

In 2011,  when I was very shockingly approved for the Discover - BK still showing and they were included -  I apped for Citi and Chase -  Denied for both.    I am certain I applied for both again in 2012 - Denied.   Then in July of this year - I noticed that BK fell off my reports 2 months earlier than I thought it would - apped for Citi Simplicity - and was approved for $5000 - Citi was included in BK as well.  

Now, thinking I was firmly in the prime world - I went for Amex and Chase - DENIED!   So, in a matter of one day I had three HPs.  This was my bad - the next day, was when I realized the Simplicity did not have any Rewards -  It did not occur to me to ask for a PC - instead I apped for Thank You Preferred - DENIED -  In that case it was for two many inquiries - which makes sense to me.  Last week I got a Visa through NYS Federal CU -  I had to jump through some hoops - but I got it. 

So, it is Discover since 9/2011 -$5000

Barclay 1/2012 $6200

Citi 7/2013 $5000 HP July 2013

CU 9/2013 $5000 HP August 2013  EQ

HP for  Citi Thank you - July 2013 - Denied - Exp.

HP for Chase SP- July 2013 - Denied  Exp.

HP for Amex Blue July 2013 Denied  Exp - maybe all I cannot remember

Cap 1 I got in 1/2008 I believe $3350 (some odd amount like that)

By the time I tried to recon for the Chase - I was told the app was too old - to take a look at.   Amex told me that a recon would mean another HP - I figure it was not  worth it. Also, although I do have two public records on my account -  and Amex said it was because of "legal" reasons on my CR - but no other inof was available.  In 2012 or 11, Chase said the only reason for the denial was specifically the late payment history that shows up for a loan back in 2011; if that were removed, I could qualify for a Chase card.   When I was approved for the second loan with the same credit union -  I was told they were going to remove the negative information off my reports.  I had perfect payment history on the second loan - and even paid it off early.  I called yesterday - and spoke with someone in the loan department who was not too eager to help me - but I am going to try to reach the guy with whom I did the loan application - I was told he works from home, but I can leave a VM.

Maybe I will try Cap 1's EO just to see if I can get the history back and a nice CL - just to help my profile.  I really do not need too much credit.  And I do not want to even go back to Cap 1 unless I know there is some benefit - I got the CU card only to establish a good credit history with them -  and boost my chances of a great mortgage and/or car loan in the future.   

But it would be nice to continue to get better tiered cards - and certainly - Discover has absolutely spoiled me with the excellent customer service. Now, I look for that in a card company as well.   So, I figure that leads me to SSP - maybe another 6 months to a year and that 2011 late payment history does not look too bad - and  four accounts all with at least a $5000 CL - might help my chances as well.  Who knows!

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.