Established Member

Should I Cancel American Express Green Card?

Does anyone know if it would hurt my credit score if I cancel my American Express green card?  It is not my oldest card plus I rarely use it.  I am tired of paying the $125 annual fee. My credit is excellent: Equifax=808; Transunion= 808; Experian:=788.  I wanted to call and ask them if I could instead have an American Express Blue credit card.  Any suggestions?

Re: Should I Cancel American Express Green Card?

Your AF for the a Green is $125?

Closing an account will not hurt your score ESP since its a charge card (util)
Valued Contributor

125 for the green??? I thought it was 95.

And the card will still show there for 10 years so it shouldnt hurt your AAoA

Amex BCE (2500) / Amex SPG (4000) / Amex GoldPR / Merrill+ Visa siggy (5000) / BofA Amex (6000) / Bofa cash rewards (5000) / BofA Privileges Cash Rewards (5000) / Citi Forward (4400) / Citi DP (2000) / Chase Freedom (4000) / Chase CSP (5000) / Chase Hyatt (5000) / Discover IT (1700) / FNBO AMEX (3600) / NFCU cashRewards Visa signature (15000) / NFCU Flagship Visa signature (12500) / NFCU Navcheck (5000) / Nordstrom (500) / MetroCU Visa Elite (5000) / Walmart (4500) / Kays Jewerels (6600) / Kohls (300) / Macys Platinum (2500) / DCU platinum Visa (17500) / Citizens bank cash back (1100) / Bill Me Later (1631) / PayPal Smart connect (2200) / BestBuy store card (2000)
Frequent Contributor

Unless you have a ton of MR points, I'd cancel.
As of 1/10/2014 EX FICO - 748. EQ FICO - 728. Trans FICO - 755

WellsFargo - $3,000 AMEX BCE - $18,000 Chase Freedom - $4,000

Frequent Contributor

If you're paying $125 for a green then you might as well upgrade to the Gold for the same price :smileywink:

Frequent Contributor

you can also downgrade the green to the "senior green" its AF is only $45 or $55 I think but in reality, if your not using the card then its kinda useless.

Frequent Contributor

Perhaps the Amex SENIOR GREEN card might be the solution, with a $35 AF instead of $95 for the standard Green card?  (Isn't $125 AF for the Gold card?)

https://web.aexp-static.com/us/content/pdf/cardmember-agreements/senior-green/SeniorGreen.pdf

This cardmember agreement LINK for the current Senior Green card cites an annual fee range of $35 to $75 with the latter, higher amount involving, I believe, a $40 upcharge to keep the MR points (which are normally forfeited for the standard Green card).  I have yet to call Amex myself to find out what special requirements exist to convert to this card:  "Age?  (I'm guessing not a criterion).  "Years as an Amex Member?"  (Possible criterion.)  "Invite" necessary?  (Don't know.)  Unless anyone already knows more about the Senior Green requirements, I'll just have to make that phone call myself . . . !

FICO Score 8: EQ 790 EX 777 TU 795 ***** FICO Bankcard Score 8: EQ 817 EX 804 ***** VantageScore 3.0: EQ 817 EX 794 TU 799
TOTAL CL (6 cards): $114.5K ***** INQUIRIES 2 yrs (1 yr): EQ 2(0) EX 7(2) TU 6(2) ***** UTILIZ: 1 % ***** GOAL: FICO Score 8: 800+

NASA FCU Rewards Visa 30K || Amex BCE 25K || Chase Sapphire Visa Signature 21.5K || PayPal Extras MC 20K ||
CITI Diamond Preferred MC 9.5K || Discover it 8.5K || ***** ***** GARDENING since 9-26-2014 *****
Frequent Contributor

Corgihound wrote:

Perhaps the Amex SENIOR GREEN card might be the solution, with a $35 AF instead of $95 for the standard Green card?  (Isn't $125 AF for the Gold card?)

https://web.aexp-static.com/us/content/pdf/cardmember-agreements/senior-green/SeniorGreen.pdf

This cardmember agreement LINK for the current Senior Green card cites an annual fee range of $35 to $75 with the latter, higher amount involving, I believe, a $40 upcharge to keep the MR points (which are normally forfeited for the standard Green card).  I have yet to call Amex myself to find out what special requirements exist to convert to this card:  "Age?  (I'm guessing not a criterion).  "Years as an Amex Member?"  (Possible criterion.)  "Invite" necessary?  (Don't know.)  Unless anyone already knows more about the Senior Green requirements, I'll just have to make that phone call myself . . . !

Let us know what you learn if you decide to call them. I'd be interested to know as well although I don't have to worry about it right away.

Frequent Contributor

I have asked and surprisingly there is no "requirement" just ask and anyone that is a cardmember with a charge card can convert to it, the funny thing is even the rep was not able to tell me the difference between the senior with MR points for $75 and the regular green for $95 lol

Valued Contributor

the AF difference between 95$ and 125$ is most likely due to him having an AU on the account....  just a guess!

Chase Sapphire Perferred | Chase Freedom | AMEX Platinum | AMEX Delta Platinum | AMEX SPG | Capital One Venture | Capital One Quicksliver | Discover IT | ABFCU Visa | Citi AA WEMC
Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.