Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I Close My Best Buy Store Card?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Should I Close My Best Buy Store Card?

I have a $600 limit that will never see a CLI cause i'm on the B plan an I was told that is the max CL for this card. An on top of that I just made a large payment an there holding it for 2 weeks. I kind of thinking about closing it cause the card is not gonna grow with me BUT I'm not paying any annual fees on the card. I've only had the card 6 months WHAT SHOULD I DO PEOPLE?

Message Edited by mjbfan79 on 02-03-2009 07:56 AM
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
valley_man0505
Established Contributor

Re: Should I Close My Best Buy Store Card?

If there are no annual fees, I'm not really sure what the benefit of closing it would be.  Right now, it is helping your UTL and possibly your overall credit mix (depending on what else is on your reports).  If you need it to help UTL and mix, then keep it open.  However, if your scores will be fine with it closed, go ahead and call them and at least threaten to close it unless they switch you to Plan A and give you a CLI.
Message 2 of 10
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

Keep the card, mjbfan79.  Let it age. Use it only if you really want to buy something and BB has the best deal on it. 

The card may not help you much, or ever grow with you...but it doesn't hurt you to have the account open and aged.  Down the road, this small account could trigger much better offerings for you merely because of its longevity.

Have a splendid day! 

Message 3 of 10
MsKiwi
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I have a $600 limit that will never see a CLI cause i'm on the B plan an I was told that is the max CL for this card. An on top of that I just made a large payment an there holding it for 2 weeks. I kind of thinking about closing it cause the card is not gonna grow with me BUT I'm not paying any annual fees on the card. I've only had the card 6 months WHAT SHOULD I DO PEOPLE?

Message Edited by mjbfan79 on 02-03-2009 07:56 AM

I would keep it open for now. When it comes time for the AF (if there is one) call them and see if they will waive the fee. I'd keep it open with only an occasion small charge to keep it alive and let it help with overall util. You already took the inq hit. Keep it open for at least the first year then decide if you want to close it.
Message 4 of 10
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

I'd keep it for now. I assume that like most of the rest of us, you have some baddies in your credit past. If so, one advantage of opening new accounts, however dopey they might be, is that every month with the new accounts you have another month of clean history going into your files.

This helps "dilute" the impact of the baddies.

Again, if it has a fee, that's a different story. If the fee makes the card more than it's worth to you, I'd make sure that the account was PIF'd in month 10 and not used again, then print out the month 11 statement showing $0 balance and no activity, and then ask to have the fee waived. If they so no, you can close it. Be sure to file the statements showing $0, and ask them to send you a letter that the account was closed at your request, paid in full, in good standing. Just in case.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 5 of 10
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

I agree with all others. Since there is no AF leave it alone for now. Let it age.
Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you all for the advice I love this forum.
Message 7 of 10
oracles
Valued Contributor

Definitely keep it open, it is only helping and not hurting

Message 8 of 10
FretlessMayhem
Senior Contributor

@Red1Blue wrote:
I agree with all others. Since there is no AF leave it alone for now. Let it age.

+1.

Here we go again...
Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm just really mad with cause there holding my last payment lol
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.