Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Should I Close Oldest CC or Not?

no.

Message 11 of 19
mitchblue
Valued Contributor

If no AF no reason to close it. If you don't want to look at it just shred it.. There's no benefit of closing it and even though it might stay on for 10 years why not start the ten years at a later time? 

FICO® 8 Scores 821 FICO® 9 Equifax 826 (Updated 02-7-23)
Message 12 of 19
NRB525
Super Contributor

@mitchblue wrote:

If no AF no reason to close it. If you don't want to look at it just shred it.. There's no benefit of closing it and even though it might stay on for 10 years why not start the ten years at a later time? 

Shred an active card? The card contains the CVV number, it is nowhere else in your paperwork, and is often necessary when even working with the card company on-line to verify you have the card and are the legitimate cardholder.

As to keeping the card open, $3k is not a particularly low limit. yeah, you can't buy a car with it, but it's adequate for many purposes. The longer it ages, the more it is going to benefit you.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 13 of 19
onstar
Established Contributor

If you're rebuilding or NEED the CL, then keep it.

Otherwise, it does you no good, so close it.

BK DC 4/9/2018
FICO 08 (4/9/2018): EQ 647 EX 609 TU 620
FICO 08 (10/16/2020): EQ 676 EX 659 TU 653
Message 14 of 19
revjamesl
Valued Contributor

@onstar wrote:

I'm definitely not rebuilding. I have established credit and very high credit scores. I hate the low limit. I'm wondering if it could ever negatively effect me.

AMEX Platinum NPSL | Discover It $45.9k | Chase Sapphire Reserved $40.7k |Barclay Arrival+ WEMC $40k | PENFED Platinum Rewards VS $35k | Lowes $35k | BoA Better Balance Rewards $30k | AMEX EDP $25k | Cap 1 QS $23.25k | NASA Platinum $20k | Chase Freedom $15k | Synchrony Haverty's $16.5k | BBVA NBA Rockets AMEX $15k | FNBO AMEX $15k | Citi Diamond Preferred $10.7k | Best Buy $10k | Synchrony Rooms-to-Go $10k | US Bank Cash+ $7.5k | AMEX BCE $6k | Barclay Financing Visa 1k | |

AU on DW Accounts: Discover It $40k I AMEX BCE $30k | Chase Marriot $29.8k |

Credit Scores: 800 EQ/833 TU/831 EX
Message 15 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Should I Close Oldest CC or Not? *EDIT*

If it can't or won't grow, why keep it? <<< Good question. You've stated you don't need it, also sounds like you dont want it. Close it and move on Smiley Happy
Message 16 of 19
CH-7-Mission-Accomplished
Valued Contributor

Re: Should I Close Oldest CC or Not? *EDIT*

I think you should keep it.  My two oldest accounts that survived my BK 7 are a JC Penney card that's 20 years old (never used) and a Barney's NY card that's 15 years old (used once).  I lost the physical cards years ago but they still report as open and are saving my AAofA.

People hang onto their crappy little $300 Target cards forever, or a Nordstrom or Macy's card with a $1500 limit.

At some point it's nice to see your AAofA get up over 20 or more years -- just for kicks to see how high you can score.  

Seriously nothing makes for a bulletproof credit file like lots of old cards.  Then you can app with impugnity without any consequences in the future.

And if you harangue the EO and tell them how long you have had the card, yada, yada, yada, they will likely cave.

Message 17 of 19
mitchblue
Valued Contributor

@NRB525 wrote:

@mitchblue wrote:

Shred an active card? The card contains the CVV number, it is nowhere else in your paperwork, and is often necessary when even working with the card company on-line to verify you have the card and are the legitimate cardholder.

As to keeping the card open, $3k is not a particularly low limit. yeah, you can't buy a car with it, but it's adequate for many purposes. The longer it ages, the more it is going to benefit you.

But if you're not going to use it at all, what's the point. They will close it on their own at a later date. 

FICO® 8 Scores 821 FICO® 9 Equifax 826 (Updated 02-7-23)
Message 18 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@revjamesl wrote:

@onstar wrote:

I'm definitely not rebuilding. I have established credit and very high credit scores. I hate the low limit. I'm wondering if it could ever negatively effect me.

Frankly, if I had your lineup of cards I'd have closed it a long time ago.

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.