Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I Max out Discover?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Should I Max out Discover?

I believe a concern as mentioned above is what other lenders will do when seeing this, not just Discover. It's never solely about "what will that specific lender think?"  It has happened a number of times to myfico members where one card was maxed and another lender took AA action to minimize their own risk.

Message 11 of 13
taxi818
Super Contributor

@grillandwinemaster wrote:

I have a brand new Discover IT with $4500 cl and 0% Apr for 12 months. I need your valuable input-opinions. I can transfer $2k from other cc's, have a small home  improvement project, $1.5k, and also try to take advantage of rewards 1k. I can easily max this card out in one week.  Of course the 1k would be revolving, and pif. The remaining $3.5k would be spread out over ten months. How would this behavior look to Discover? How would it affect any future cli's? I would like to take FULL advantage of my new Discover, but also show "good, responsible" behavior in the eyes of Discover. 

I turn to you my Fico Friends. What are your thoughts? 

TIA!

Discover loves heavy usage. If you got plan. They will reward you. I started at 2500 limit. Maxed it out a couple times. Over 80%. Raised my limit to 10k. Might do it gain soon Smiley Happy 

Message 12 of 13
grillandwinemaster
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

OP, it woudn't hurt if you could share how your overall credit profile looks like (other cards, utilizations, etc). just a thought! 

I updated my sig to include my "active" credit cards and current scores.  However, I'm not applying for ANYTHING for the next 12-18 months, so any score decrease effect would be negligible.  

Current Scores 3/2016 Equifax 676 Transunion 697 Experian 648 Goal Scores: 720's accross the board. Gardening Goal: 3/2017
Message 13 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.