Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I PC to Flagship?

tag
DigitalArk
Valued Contributor

Should I PC to Flagship?

Recently, I have been thinking a lot to PC my goRewards to Flagship, because I don 't like points that will expire. I am not a big spender, nor do I travel often. I am having a really hard time to make this decision. Need help!
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: Should I PC to Flagship?

I think you answered it.
You don't spend a lot
You don't travel a lot
No.
Message 2 of 5
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

If don't use your current card enough to earn 2500 points after 4 years of spending, then any annual-fee card should be out of the question.  In fact, maybe you don't need rewards cards at all.  You could PC to a card like the platinum which has a lower APR in case you ever need it.  You hardly use it anyway and only have it for emergencies, so you would save more money if you ever need to carry a balance than the $25 of rewards you would earn after 4 years of card use.

If you are thoroughly intent on earning rewards, you should forget about NFCU altogether and find a higher earning card with no annual fee.  NFCU, for me, is a balance transfer card with the added benefits of having no extra fees for anything, including an occasional foreign purchase if needed.  Maybe a quicksilver would be better for your purpose.  Try to make purchases using the point malls to generate some extra points.  And definately think about using your cards more often.

In general, most people that are big on collecting rewards put nearly all of their purchases on their rewards cards....

EX:694 TU:744 EQ:777
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 3 of 5
watch44
Frequent Contributor

@DigitalArk wrote:
Recently, I have been thinking a lot to PC my goRewards to Flagship, because I don 't like points that will expire. I am not a big spender, nor do I travel often. I am having a really hard time to make this decision. Need help!

Just have to figure out how you use the goRewards now and see if the math works.

The Flagship gets 2 points per dollar, and the AF refunded at 10,000 points ($5,000 spend) for $49 back. Anything above that is gravy. With the goRewards, you only get 1 point per dollar, and can redeem for cash at 5,000 points ($5,000 spend) for $50 back. 

If your annual spend is around $5,000 or less on the goRewards right now, it's not worth it switching to the Flagship. If your annual spend is $5,000 or greater, you can collect points that never expire without paying an AF, and the more you're above $5,000 the better it is to switch to the Flagship.

Also, the Flagship gives more back at higher spends to make up for using 10,000 points every year for the AF refund. For example, 25,000 goRewards points ($25,000 spend) gets $250 cash, but 40,000 Flagship points ($20,000 spend) gets $250 cash. So the same $25,000 spend gets $250 on goRewards and $250 + AF credit on Flagship. 

But at $50,000 spend (or after years of collecting points on the Flagship), you get $750 back. On the goRewards, $50,000 spend is $500 back. So you can collect points yearly on the Flagship and come out ahead with bigger redemptions.

And finally, 750 for 50,000 is 1.5% cash back, which makes you think the Flagship is basically the same as CashRewards. But you don't need to spend $10,000 a year to do it as with the CashRewards card. Just a little above $5,000 a year will do on the Flagship. It's going to take a while to get the 1.5% cash back on the Flagship, but if your annual spend is between $5,000 and $10,000, it works better than all the other cards.

And I really hope I did my math right. Cat Embarassed

Oh, and one more thing. Travel redemptions for Flagship is 2% back. So if you're like me and don't have a lot of time or money to travel, but eventually (hopefully) want to take a trip somewhere, Flagship might be right for you. And no FTF fees. It's a travel card!

tl;dr 1 - If you annual spend is between $5,000 and $10,000, switch to Flagship.

tl;dr 2 - If your annual spend is $10,000 or more, switch to Flagship if no FTF and 2% redemptions on travel is what you want. Otherwise, cashRewards is better cause you can redeem at any time.

(Hover over pics for details) 
FICO:  TU 731 (05/14/14)   EX 749 (04/24/14)   EQ 684 (02/05/14)   Goal 700
FAKO:  TU 761 (05/20/14)   EX 761 (05/20/14)   EQ 743 (05/20/14)
Message 4 of 5
DigitalArk
Valued Contributor

Thank you all for the detailed explanation. It really helps me to see it clearly that the GORewards meets my need better.
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.