cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I Risk it and Apply for Walmart Discover?

tag
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Should I Risk it and Apply for Walmart Discover?

I just got approved for Apple $1300 and PayPal MC $2000

I would like a Walmart card to get the free Fico but if I don't get the Discover Version of the card I probably would NEVER use it.... Walmarts are not close to me and the one that is that I have been to scared me!!!

I was really hoping to apply for a GE Amex so I could shop at Costco but the only ones I can find are Dillards (Which I have but I will be closing because it's joint and also for a store we don't have in my state that I moved to) and the Universal Amex which would be worthless rewards for me.

Should I wait for the 2 new cards to show up or apply now or not at all!?

Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
rootpooty
Valued Contributor

Re: Should I Risk it and Apply for Walmart Discover?

I've always wondered what the difference is between the two. Can the discover version be used anywhere unlike the normal one that can only be used in the store? Here's my opinion. If you don't shop at Walmart then why get the card? I would enjoy that apple and paypal card more that paypal card cause I do alot of internet shopping buying things off people and I never knew about that card till recently. What other cards do you have?
NFCU plat 5k | NAVCHECK 5k | NFCU cashrewards 15k | BOFA 123 6k |
Chase Freedom 1.5k | Amazon 3K | Walmart 3K | Buckle 300 | AMEX BCE 2.5K | CHASE CSP 12K | CITI sears 6k | Kay 2k

On the prowl for Chase Sapphire Preferred! APPROVED 12K!
scores 7/14 647 622 630 (85%util)
scores 8/14 767 760 758 Boom! finally in the 700 club
Message 2 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@rootpooty wrote:
I've always wondered what the difference is between the two. Can the discover version be used anywhere unlike the normal one that can only be used in the store?  Yes Here's my opinion. If you don't shop at Walmart then why get the card?  Free TU score every month. I would enjoy that apple and paypal card more that paypal card cause I do alot of internet shopping buying things off people and I never knew about that card till recently. What other cards do you have?

Message 3 of 21
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

GE seems to be ok when you apply for their credit cards. I applied for 3-4 cards at the same time and did not get any declines.

Message 4 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Creditaddict wrote:

I just got approved for Apple $1300 and PayPal MC $2000

I would like a Walmart card to get the free Fico but if I don't get the Discover Version of the card I probably would NEVER use it.... Walmarts are not close to me and the one that is that I have been to scared me!!!

I was really hoping to apply for a GE Amex so I could shop at Costco but the only ones I can find are Dillards (Which I have but I will be closing because it's joint and also for a store we don't have in my state that I moved to) and the Universal Amex which would be worthless rewards for me.

Should I wait for the 2 new cards to show up or apply now or not at all!?

Walmart sometimes has good deals online and shipping to your door isn't too bad.

Message 5 of 21
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@rootpooty wrote:
I've always wondered what the difference is between the two. Can the discover version be used anywhere unlike the normal one that can only be used in the store? Here's my opinion. If you don't shop at Walmart then why get the card? I would enjoy that apple and paypal card more that paypal card cause I do alot of internet shopping buying things off people and I never knew about that card till recently. What other cards do you have?

Yes the Walmart Discover can be used anywhere Discover is taken.

I would get it for the sake of the TU Fico score for free each month

I mean if I got just store card I could use it every 4-6 months probably shopping online but would not go to a store.

Other Cards:

USBank Visa Signature - Joint account and has been closed and is currently in a payoff program they offer (They report open though until you pay off which is nice of them) Very high balance but not currently reporting on TU which is nice, wish it would leave the other CR too!!

Chase Southwest - Joint, also closed and reports closed and has a high balance too... think this is reporting on TU

4 Target Cards - usually reporting $0

Toyota Visa - Joint about to close

Dillards Amex - Joint about to close

Navy Federal

Best Buy MC

umm I think that's all of them! I forget some usually until I see a statement! lol

Message 6 of 21
rootpooty
Valued Contributor

I agree with this my girlfriend always buys online and has it shipped to our door and their shipping is mighty fast you usually get it in 2-3 days
Chase Freedom 1.5k | Amazon 3K | Walmart 3K | Buckle 300 | AMEX BCE 2.5K | CHASE CSP 12K | CITI sears 6k | Kay 2k

Message 7 of 21
rootpooty
Valued Contributor

Ah yes navy federal! Im with them also. Why have other cards when you have navy federal? They are the best with cli's! Lol im surprised you listed them last

Message 8 of 21
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Well I have a lot of issues with them surrounding income... but I recently moved ALL my banking to them and hoping that will trigger the system to give some auto approvals or get them to not ask for income verification because they see it all in the checking!!

Mine is actually secured card and should be reviewed in 2 weeks according to them to unsecure which is perfect timing because the last couple months has been very busy and LOTS of charging... In last 2 months have ran between $7-8k through the card and had all the money sitting in savings account so as things posted I would move money from Savings over to pay the credit card.

Message 9 of 21
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Sigh.... oh well!

Offer Details

• Credit Line: $800.00
  • Annual Percentage Rate (APR) for Purchases: 22.9%

I was thinking about it and decided to go ahead and apply because I can send it to my mother who shops almost soley at Walmart for Groceries.

Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.