cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I Start Off Paying Off High Interest Credit Cards or High Interest Loans?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Should I Start Off Paying Off High Interest Credit Cards or High Interest Loans?

I am sitting here racking my brain trying to devise a plan. I am not sure if I should start agressively tackling these bloody loans (i.e. Loan Me and One Main Financial) or if I should start with my higher interest cards such as Amazon Store Card or my Chase Sapphire... Thoughts? Thanks so much!

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Should I Start Off Paying Off High Interest Credit Cards or High Interest Loans?

Do you mind giving us some more information. What you owe and to who at what rates?
Message 2 of 5
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Should I Start Off Paying Off High Interest Credit Cards or High Interest Loans?

@Anonymous wrote:

I am sitting here racking my brain trying to devise a plan. I am not sure if I should start agressively tackling these bloody loans (i.e. Loan Me and One Main Financial) or if I should start with my higher interest cards such as Amazon Store Card or my Chase Sapphire... Thoughts? Thanks so much!

There are two strategies frequently used:

1) Financial.  Use all available money, after paying the minimums, on the highest APR balance.   This miniimizes the total interest cost

2)   Pay off the lowest balances first.    This allows you to see demonstrable progess, you used to owe money on say 6 things, now you only owe on 5.   By reduucing the number of accounts with balances, you might also improve your score some.   But this costs more than approach 1.

Then here, you may also see approaches based on score: reducing the overall utilization, reducing max utilization, and number of accounts with balances etc.

It depends on your sitatution, but if you owe a lot, and don't really expect to be apping (for a new low APR card or consolidation loan), I would tend to ignore score and focus on 1 or 2.

Message 3 of 5
BronzeTrader
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Definitely pay off the blood sucker loan sharks first. 20% interest rate is a blood drain. Also use balance transfer to low interest CCs if you have them. Some of the Synchrony cards have interest rates as high as 28%. Blood sucker Synchrony!

Message 4 of 5
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@BronzeTrader wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Definitely pay off the blood sucker loan sharks first. 20% interest rate is a blood drain. Also use balance transfer to low interest CCs if you have them. Some of the Synchrony cards have interest rates as high as 28%. Blood sucker Synchrony!

Please be FSR:  my sister is a vampire and she doesn't like being lumped in with Synchrony.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.