cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I accept this loan to help out to reconsolidate credit card debt?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Should I accept this loan to help out to reconsolidate credit card debt?

Hello, I am new here. I have 11k of credit card debt (I feel very stressed about this..)  and am a recent college graduate and a freelancer with fairly steady income. I can't find a full time job (so far) and am considering grad school. I have 25k in student loans and they are up to date on all payments for the next year. So I'm trying to knock out my credit card debt.  I have no other debt (car is paid off).

I just applied for a loan through The Lending Club. I only applied for 6k (they offered me more, but I don't want to take it). The APR they gave me is 17.64%.. I know, not great. But 4 of my credit cards have higher APR's on them. My Chase Slate card has a 27.99% APR. I've had the card several years and I have asked several times for them to lower the APR and they won't budge even though I've made on time payments. I would be using the loan to cover the following cards:

Chase (27.99% APR) - 1,100

Barclay - (20.99% APR) - 945

Citi (19.99%) - 900

Capitol One (24.99% APR) 1,100

The rest of my debt has interest rates from 0%-14.99%.

Should I take the loan? I just don't know where I would qualify for a 0% APR card that I can use as a balance transfer (the ones with 0% I already have a balance on). My FICO is 665.

Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Should I accept this loan to help out to reconsolidate credit card debt?

What are the balances on each card? Leaving balances on them still adds to your debt. 

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

well that isn't what i would do. i would take what they give to pay off as much as possible. add up all your current credit card payments and then add up the loan payment plus whatever credit card payments you may have remaining and see which is cheaper for you Smiley Happy
Message 3 of 4
happypill
Valued Contributor

If the interest rate on the loan is lower than the interest rates on the CCs then you should do it.  There is one huge caveat if you proceed though - you need to make sure not to just run up the credit cards.  If you use the loan to pay off your cards then just start charging again, you'll be digging yourself into an even bigger hole.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.