cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I app for more cards to help build credit?

tag
ptilda
Established Contributor

Re: Should I app for more cards to help build credit?

I always recommend joining a credit union. This is a great time to start that relationship if you haven't started already.

Nice start!

My Wallet:Fidelity Amex $1K, DCU $3.9K, US Bank AeroMexico $300, Quicksilver $1.3K, Cap1 secured MC $750, DiscoverIT $200, Care Credit $5K, Sportsman Guide Visa $3K, Kay $3K, Jared $3K,American Airlines CC $3K, Amazon $2.9k, Walmart $2.2k, Macy's $800 revolving/$5k furniture, Comenity retail cards $5.55kStarting Score: 618Current Score: 711
Message 11 of 12
FoxtrotGamma

Re: Should I app for more cards to help build credit?

@longtime_lurker wrote:

Welcome to the forum! 

I recently got approved for the BCE with 22.5k income, full-time student (I work full-time at a hotel), but I also have 3 other credit cards, and several personal loans paid. So I guess I would say your file might be too thin for an approval - how long is your history with Citi? Love the Dividend's look, if only they'd make the catagories better Smiley Sad I ended up using my Freedom this quarter almost exclusively because of the Amazon 5%...

Just my two cents, I'm not all that familiar with Amex approvals, I can only cite my recent experience!

I figured my file was thin (which is why I was wondering if I should get more cards) and from what the general response seems to be it seems like I'll be gardening for the next few months at the very least.  One poster suggest going for the student IT from discover as an in-between, and I might app for it around maybe Mar-Apr to try and grow a bit, and then wait another 6 months to a year before going for the Amex.

I have no prior history with Citi, and was between them and the IT (I got a preapproved mail offer this past summer) for a card, and ended up picking the Dividend as its a Visa and Discover isn't taken everywhere (although the looks are really good too) but next quarter's 5% as Macy's is pretty lame....

Message 12 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.