Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I app now?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Should I app now?

Hello all! A few months ago I asked some advice on when to app for the PRG and was told to wait a little while. I couldn't help myself and applied 3 months early from your recommendations when I noticed my score had jumped about 20-30 points from getting a collection removed. This was in early February and I was denied and the reason was "First card too recent" or something along those lines. At that time I had only had my first credit card for 3 months. 

Well today I had to apply for a DentalFirst card to have some dental work done (approved for $3,500 Smiley Very Happy) so should I go ahead and apply for the PRG right now as well? Also can I ask for a cli increase on the DentalFirst card to pad my utilization a little? I didn't need the full $3,500 anyways but the more padding the better.

CCT had all of my scores hovering just above 700 (712-730 I think) and utilization is currently under 10% but when that DentalFirst card reports it will definitely shoot up quite a bit for a while until I can get it paid off.

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: Should I app now?

Yes, apply for amex again.

DentalFirst, I would try through automated phone system for CLI.

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Awesome, thank you! Do you happen to know the automated number?

Message 3 of 10
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

1-877-741-0132

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks again

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just apped and got approved under the 50,000 promo. Thanks for the advice

Message 6 of 10
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

apply for a revolving credit card product like SPG or Everyday and it will be same HP Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Creditaddict wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

apply for a revolving credit card product like SPG or Everyday and it will be same HP Smiley Happy

I'm worried about AA from opening too many cards in one go since my credit file is so thin. I only have a Discover It, Chase Visa and today got the PRG and DentalFirst all in 6 months or so. Does that seem like I'm opening too many new accounts too soon? And also I'm thinking of a CSP at some point in the future so if I did that I'd have to wait about two years bc of the 5/24 rule.

Message 8 of 10
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Creditaddict wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm worried about AA from opening too many cards in one go since my credit file is so thin. I only have a Discover It, Chase Visa and today got the PRG and DentalFirst all in 6 months or so. Does that seem like I'm opening too many new accounts too soon? And also I'm thinking of a CSP at some point in the future so if I did that I'd have to wait about two years bc of the 5/24 rule.

1. Amex tends to love to issue a charge and revolver at same time.

2. go to chase.com, credit cards, "Check for my pre-qualified offers" and see if CSP comes up... if so, you are good to apply for that now!

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Creditaddict wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Creditaddict wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

1. Amex tends to love to issue a charge and revolver at same time.

2. go to chase.com, credit cards, "Check for my pre-qualified offers" and see if CSP comes up... if so, you are good to apply for that now!

No CSP offer comes up just Freedom and Slate which I'm not interested in for the time being.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.