Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I apply??Home Depot

tag
RUSTY101
Regular Contributor

Should I apply??Home Depot

In the past 2 weeks I have applied and received   #1 Chase AARP $1500.00

#2 Citi Diamond  $4200.00

#3 Discover More $3500.

I did not have any bank cards before these.  I do have ( over 2years now) Valero, Kay, Chevron.  I would like to have a Home Depot. What do you guys think? I have 3 inquiries now, will another hurt?  Maybe I should not get another card, but I do alot of shopping at Home Depot.

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Settemio
Regular Contributor

Re: Should I apply??Home Depot

You can use any of the three you just got to shop at home depot Smiley Tongue///

Message 2 of 16
MrShush
Valued Contributor

Deferred payments and interest are what made that card appealing. Now the best it offers is no interest for 6 monthd or better.
Message 3 of 16
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

@Settemio wrote:

You can use any of the three you just got to shop at home depot Smiley Tongue///

Yes, but do those cards offer interest free financing for six months? Home Depot does. So does Lowe's. I can't speak for the OP, but my DH is interested in Lowe's for this reason.

Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 4 of 16
hammertime
New Contributor

Higher limit if you apply in store while making a purchase.  DW got 4K in 3 minutes in store 0% for 12 months. EQ 682.

Message 5 of 16
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Since citi just gave you your highest limit, I think your good to go for Home Depot (citi also).

I have not heard that in store is better than online but whatever makes you more comfortable.

Message 6 of 16
austinguy907
Valued Contributor

Understandably it's attractive in the short term to pick up this card. Reality is with the current economy and the like there's no need to buy more than you can PIF each month. Whatever you need from HD can be placed on another card you currently have and if you have to you can probably do a BT from one to another to take a lower APR on the purchase if you need to extend the payments. For instance I'm looking at a health purchase of about $3K and going to charge it on Chase to get the 1% back then move the balance to my CU card for 4.9% and pay it off in 2 months in full. I would look into joining a CU as they typically have lower rates and better BT options w/o fees. Top offers right now would probably be Justice FCU, Pentagon, USAA, etc. Put some thought into it and you'll enjoy the rewards 10 years down the road when you still have the account and aren't restricted to one particular retailer.
Message 7 of 16
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@austinguy907 wrote:
Understandably it's attractive in the short term to pick up this card. Reality is with the current economy and the like there's no need to buy more than you can PIF each month. Whatever you need from HD can be placed on another card you currently have and if you have to you can probably do a BT from one to another to take a lower APR on the purchase if you need to extend the payments. For instance I'm looking at a health purchase of about $3K and going to charge it on Chase to get the 1% back then move the balance to my CU card for 4.9% and pay it off in 2 months in full. I would look into joining a CU as they typically have lower rates and better BT options w/o fees. Top offers right now would probably be Justice FCU, Pentagon, USAA, etc. Put some thought into it and you'll enjoy the rewards 10 years down the road when you still have the account and aren't restricted to one particular retailer.

I happen to love the Home Depot card and Citi has been fantastic... Never have requested a CLI and it's gone from 5500 to 14900... Usually see a CLI every time I charge something on a 12 month interest free program. and paying 4.9 for 12 months is a lot more than paying 0% for 12 months!

Message 8 of 16
austinguy907
Valued Contributor

I didn't say 12 months. I said PIF every month. Not everyone that applies for the HD card will get a co-brand V or MC. 4.9% for 2 mo's is pocket change or nothing at all if timed right w/ the BT and close date on the original card.
Message 9 of 16
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Home Depot does not have a Visa or MC and when they did it didn't offer the 0% so not sure why you would want it.

Yes PIF is a great idea, but my cash is earning more than 0% so I would take the offers and at the end of the year PIF.

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.