cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I apply for 2 Amex products the same day?

tag
Crashem
Valued Contributor

Re: Should I apply for 2 Amex products the same day?

Call for recon already. Willing to bet they don't like the first premier and/or credit one. That's easy to explain on recon
               LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 21 of 44
Mailak
Frequent Contributor

@Crashem wrote:
Call for recon already. Willing to bet they don't like the first premier and/or credit one. That's easy to explain on recon

I had a Capital One with a $300 CL (only CC I had) but it went fine for me. But, I had everything else working for me.

PenFed Platinum Cash Rewards (19.5k), Amex BCE (9k), Chase Sapphire Reserve (30k), Chase Freedom Unlimited (14.5k), Chase Marriott Premier (19k), Discover More (10k)
Message 22 of 44
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Mailak wrote:

@Crashem wrote:

I had a Capital One with a $300 CL (only CC I had) but it went fine for me. But, I had everything else working for me.

In all fairness, C1 >> FP / CreditOne.

I still think Amex trots out this excuse for a denial when they see something else they don't like in the report as well.  If they want to ding me for my Orchard aka HSBC(NV) or soon to be Cap One tradeline, meh, so be it.

        
Message 23 of 44
Crashem
Valued Contributor

I've never seen them do it for Cap 1 or Orchard.  Only heard for First Premier and recently Credit One.  My guess is that First Premier and Credit One are both solely subprime cards.  I do know someone who had to call for recon with First Premier to get card.

LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 24 of 44
littlesister
Contributor

@Crashem wrote:

I don't agree on this because I apped for my first amex about 2 years ago ( Blue Sky ) and I had every crappy card you could get,

and I got an instant approval..  Credit one was one of them. (closed now ) I was also approved two months after that for Blue cash, pc'd

to blue cash every day now. So it is possible to get one  even if you have less then desirable creditors on your report.

Message 25 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

@DVH1980 wrote:

Experian score is 675ish. AAoA is 2.3 years, utilization is under 3%, 4 inquiries one of which is Amex from 6 months ago, 2 paid CO's from 3-5 years ago. However I paid the balance on those in Sep 2011, once I did that it changed the date of last activity. Currently have Cap1 Rewards, Cap 1 Secured, Barclays, USAA Secured Amex,First Premire and Credit One, one car loan through my credit union.

Ideally, id like to get the revolver and close FP and Credit One.  

It's likely that 2 CO's paid less than a year ago would be a major factor.  OP, if you are having trouble viewing the denial letter online, it sometimes helps to try a different browser. 

Message 26 of 44
Whereis750
Regular Contributor

Curious to hear if OP called for recon and what they said. Please report back if you decide to give Amex a call. Also, if you wouldn't mind sharing details of the denial letter that would be valuable info for the forum. Thanks!
Message 27 of 44
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

Hoping he recons...

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 28 of 44
Whereis750
Regular Contributor

+1
Message 29 of 44
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

@DVH1980 wrote:

Experian score is 675ish. AAoA is 2.3 years, utilization is under 3%, 4 inquiries one of which is Amex from 6 months ago, 2 paid CO's from 3-5 years ago. However I paid the balance on those in Sep 2011, once I did that it changed the date of last activity. Currently have Cap1 Rewards, Cap 1 Secured, Barclays, USAA Secured Amex,First Premire and Credit One, one car loan through my credit union.

Ideally, id like to get the revolver and close FP and Credit One.  

It's likely that 2 CO's paid less than a year ago would be a major factor.  OP, if you are having trouble viewing the denial letter online, it sometimes helps to try a different browser. 

The DOLA (Date of Last Activity) has little to no impact on whether an application is underwritten or not.  It's completely discounted for FICO as well: those CO's will report as being 3-5 years ago respectively, not 8ish months old because they were paid last year.

Also I'd point out that getting righteous on CO's is a positive from an underwriting persperpsective, much like a paid collection... at least when compared to unpaid ones.

        
Message 30 of 44
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.