cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I apply for AMEX Premier Rewards Gold through their offers?

tag
RicHowe
Valued Contributor

Re: Should I apply for AMEX Premier Rewards Gold through their offers?

They will not close your charge card with low usage; however, you will probably have a lower internal spend limit as AMEX averages your past 90 days spend to set that dynamic limit. As always YMMV. You should be just fine with the PRG.
Message 11 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you RicHowe. I always travel at the beginning of the year and I just came back from my travel. That is when I would spend a lot of money in a short period of time beside buying the round trip tickets. I guess I will apply for it later on since there is nothing to be missed at the moment. I am sure they will keep send me an offer every once in a while until next year.

This is the message I am getting from Experian: 

Alert Date
3/10/2018
New Score
Credit Rating
Very Good
Source
EXPERIAN

That means my credit score supposed to be 783 (EXP)? I really need to get the inaccurate report fixed right away! 
Message 12 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Trying to buy FICO scores from myfico.com and they rejecting my purchase because of little thing like a road name of where I lived on the last question. They used partial road name to verify my answer so selected that answer. Bam, they said wrong answer. Since they do not open on Sunday, I guess I cannot do anything.

Message 13 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Actually you can pay for your mortgage and auto loans with your credit card via plastiq(.com). I have not used the service, no need to do so, but read about it. From my understanding- they send a check to your mortgage or auto loan lein holder and charge your card.

The PRG is a good card for moderate travel expenses. Just make sure to select an airline that you use so you can receive the $100 in credit for baggage/ drinks/ seat assignments. Basically most anything associated with that airline qualifies for the credit (except the actual ticket) I selected American Airlines and received my credits back rather quickly; same billing cycle in fact. 

I put anywhere from $1k to $3k monthly and have had no problems with it declining charges and have tested my "check your spending ability" thing-y and it has said it would approve upwards of $20k (highly doubt- but that is what it says)

Just make sure you pay off the balance monthly as it is a charge card and not a credit card. 

Message 14 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Christopher1984, thank you for that information. So PRG "limit" can go up and down depending on the situation. So say after I opened the account, I purchased an airline travel plus seat adjustment, probably total up to $1855 to $2200 (international travel). During the trip within a month, I spent another $2000. However, before the end of the billing cycle or grace period I paid it off. So my limit is maybe sum up to $4200. However, Amex might decline the charges so I have to call them to verify the purchase, am I right?  So the following month I purchase let's say house furniture or something expensive over $4200, Amex declines that charges unless I talk to them right? After or Before? I know some people have different experience when it comes to using Amex PRG. In the future, if I have the card I also have to keep reminding myself it is a charge card. So I have to pay it off right away before the grace period ended. 

So I can use plastiq(.com) to utilize the reward cards to pay some bills. If that is possible, that would be awesome. However, I worry about some companies later claim the purchase is not a legit purchase for reward points and cancel my accounts.. I guess I have to read more what people are saying on that site. Thanks

Message 15 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

You are correct about the PRG and the limit. AMEX will assign an internal limit that you will not be able to go over. If you have the AMEX mobile app on your phone- you will get alerts right away in regards to your account. When my 1st statement cut- I had about $2200 that was charged that 1st month and the day the statement cut- I got a notification that I needed to make a payment to resume the ability to use my card. I was already on the phone with them to make the payment when I got the notification. The rep said that making the payment would override it and my card would be good to use right away. It may be something that do for accounts that are new as I have heard they only allow 1 payment before your 1st statement cuts.

You can always chat them up online and ask any questions and I am sure they can point you in the right direction in regards to the plastiq.com usage. 

Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.