Not applicable

Re: Should I apply for AMEX at all

FICO, I guess

TU, EX, EQ pay each month to go there whenever I find some time

Message 12 of 31
delayedinsanity
Regular Contributor

I was "pre-selected" for the Green and Gold, but made the decision to app for the Zync. That was two part; the first was obviously ego, I wanted to try and guarantee the approval in some fashion. The second was lack of experience - I don't want to pay a $95 AF on a card I'm not accustomed to. I would rather start with the Zync's $25 AF and determine if my spending habits and usage of a Charge Card will warrant a higher AF in the future. I realize I sacrificed some rewards making this decision, but if in a year I'm loving my Zync and not getting enough rewards love, I'll just app for the Green or Gold at that time.

As others have said the decision of which one to app for, if any at all, is something you need to think about based on your income, spending habits, and desired results from the card you're looking at.

Message 13 of 31
Crashem
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hey guys, I need to thank you all for your comments.  

AMEX is checking on my score every month or so  since last August. I checked if I was pre-approved for any  of their cards and found I was pre-selected for three cards: Gold, marked as a Featured card,  Zinc and Green.

Gold and Zinc are "existing mail offer", while Green is "new offer".

Does anyone have similar experience?  I wish if I can go for all of the three cards and see which one will be OK. Thanks

Green, gold, plat are about the same to get. Zinc is easier. Given that you are getting preamp proved offers for them, go ahead and pick the one that makes sense for you. I would also apply for revolver right afterwards. Likely only to get one inquiry no matter what happens. Try one of the no af revolvers like bce. If you end up with two inquires call creit bureau and say you have duplicate queries.
               LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 14 of 31
Crashem
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

FICO, I guess

My guess is that you are not getting fico score but fakos. Where are you getting your scores from?
Message 15 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Crashem wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

FICO, I guess

My guess is that you are not getting fico score but fakos. Where are you getting your scores from?

From each of their websites. Why do you think so?

Message 16 of 31
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

1. No one has been able to buy their own Experian FICO score since February of 2009. Creditors can pull Experian and also there is a CU (PSECU) in Pennsylvania that supplies that information to it's members only. The EX website sells "PLUS" scores that are not used by lenders.

2. The TU website sells VantageScores not FICO scores. A few lenders use VS but in my opinion they are very unreliable. At one time you could also purchase your Transunion score at transunioncs.com but no more. Wal Mart now offers a TU08 score to those who have their store card and the Discover version.

3. Equifax will sell you a FICO score found here: www.equifax.com/web-myfico-products/ but you have to be careful. EQ also sells their own "Equifax Credit Score" which is not a FICO score and is not used by any lenders.

(With all due credit to long time member llecs for this):

"Virtually everyone sells scores, but they are not all FICO scores. If you got scores from the big 3, then very likely 2 or all 3 of them are not FICO scores. Experian and TransUnion do not sell FICO scores on their website. We call these non-FICO scores, FAKOs, and can easily be as much as a few points to 100+ points off your real FICO when pulled the same day. If it didn't say "FICO" next to the score, then it isn't.

Other companies (e.g. freecreditreport.com, freescore.com, truecredit, creditkarma, Equifax Credit Complete, Quizzle, and dozens of others out there) sell scores, but they are nothing more than gimmicks and lenders don't use them. They do this because they want to avoid paying any fees to FICO and when they say "credit score" people buy it anyway on the assumption that it is a FICO. The scores are off because the formula is different, factors in different things as compared to FICO, and score ranges are different than FICO's (e.g. FICO is 300-850, Vantage is 501-990, PLUS is 330-830, TransRisk is 350-850, and so on)."

Message 17 of 31
Crashem
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Crashem wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

FICO, I guess

They are fakos. Go log in and check. Look for more details on what the score actually is. I was suspicious as experian doesn't sell it's fico score to any consumer, you have to get from lender or some cu's. Tu doesn't sell fico on their website. Equifax does but not the default score they provide. Pull your equifax score from myfico to get more accurate fico score.
Message 18 of 31
Crashem
Valued Contributor

Haahaa +1 to Marine. He said what I said but in much more detail and faster typing. I blame the crappy iPad keyboard
Message 19 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Crashem wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Crashem wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

FICO, I guess

They are fakos. Go log in and check. Look for more details on what the score actually is. I was suspicious as experian doesn't sell it's fico score to any consumer, you have to get from lender or some cu's. Tu doesn't sell fico on their website. Equifax does but not the default score they provide. Pull your equifax score from myfico to get more accurate fico score.

WOW, I didn't have an idea.... However, last coupole times when I received letters from Creditors after the Hards the scores were couple points close to what I get from the websites. Thanks for sharing the info

Message 20 of 31
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.