cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I apply for Chase Sapphire Preferred?

tag
Commandolam
New Contributor

Should I apply for Chase Sapphire Preferred?

Hey guys, I'm looking to apply for the CSP because the rewards seem really nice and I travel abroad every summer so the travel benefits would be nice to have.

Here are the important details:

• I'm 19, currently a college student
  • CK FAKO of 736
  • CS FAKO of 710
  • 5 or 6 inquiries overall
  • Oldest line of credit is 1.6 years
  • Reported income (scholarships + wages) will be around $32k/year
  • Overall utilization is really low. I have like $300 across all my cards which is like 3 or 4%.

I have these cards:

• Wells Fargo card that I never use, $800 CL
  • Chase Freedom, $3000 CL
  • Discover, $3000 CL
  • Amex BCE, $2000 CL (Just got last week)

I also have $4400 in student loans, but they're deferred till 2015 or 2016. I thought it might be a good idea to wait 61 days and attempt that CLI on the Amex card because I heard somewhere Chase doesn't like giving someone their highest limit and the rumored minimum for the CSP is $5000. What do you guys think I should do? Any advice or input is appreciated.

EDIT: Formatted it properly.

EDIT2: Discover Card increased my limit.

Age: 20 | AAoA: 1.1 Years | TU Fico: 725 | EX Fico: 719 | EQ Fico: 693
Last App: 12/09/2013
Message 1 of 26
25 REPLIES 25
chiyex
Valued Member

Re: Should I apply for Chase Sapphire Preferred?

yes, you should get at least 5k if approved. they have another card that i heard is also easy to get called united chase explore. i have a freedom and saphire preferred.

Message 2 of 26
ryanbush
Valued Contributor

I think you would get approved also

Chase Sapphire Perferred | Chase Freedom | AMEX Platinum | AMEX Delta Platinum | AMEX SPG | Capital One Venture | Capital One Quicksliver | Discover IT | ABFCU Visa | Citi AA WEMC
Message 3 of 26
koalablue
Frequent Contributor

You already have a very impressive line-up of cards for a 19 year old college student.  A CSP would be a good addition and I think you have a decent chance at being approved. If denied, call at least twice for a recon.  Good luck!

Message 4 of 26
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

Your scores look ok, but I think your income might be a bit low for approval and it will hurt your chances.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 5 of 26
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Message 6 of 26
nolongeraneqaddict
Valued Member

For what its worth I got approved for CSP with an income of approx 45k and similar scores but with 30% utilization. 

START (01/13):TU: 701 | EQ: 692 | EX: 706
CURRENT: TU: 739 (FICO 5/13) | EQ: 711 (FICO 2/13) | EX: 725 (PLUS 5/13) in the garden since 3/9/2013
GOALS: 750 by 01/14
Chase Sapphire Preferred | Chase Marriott Rewards Premier | Chase Freedom | Chase Slate | AMEX Blue Cash Everday | Citi Dividend |
Citi Simplicity | USAA Rewards | Walmart Discover |
Message 7 of 26
Commandolam
New Contributor

@CreditScholar wrote:

Your scores look ok, but I think your income might be a bit low for approval and it will hurt your chances.

What income would be a good starting point?

@09Lexie wrote:

Do you know your FICOs? And what is your AAOA ?

I don't know my current FICOs, but last I checked (3 months ago), it was 714.  I'd imagine it's slightly higher now. I'll have to get back to this thread with my current FICO.

Age: 20 | AAoA: 1.1 Years | TU Fico: 725 | EX Fico: 719 | EQ Fico: 693
Last App: 12/09/2013
Message 8 of 26
ObeyJohnny12
Established Contributor

I was approved for the CSP and im 19. Had to recon twice. Mostly was decline for too many inquiries. I think you will get approved. But from what i read here Chase wants you to have a 5k limit card prior to having the csp since it starts at 5k.
Wells Fargo Secured - 7k
Opensky - 5k
Rebuilding One Day At A Time.
Message 9 of 26
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@Commandolam wrote:

@CreditScholar wrote:

What income would be a good starting point?

@09Lexie wrote:

Do you know your FICOs? And what is your AAOA ?

I don't know my current FICOs, but last I checked (3 months ago), it was 714.  I'd imagine it's slightly higher now. I'll have to get back to this thread with my current FICO.

I think people have been approved with incomes around 40k, but I don't think I've seen any in the low 30s. Perhaps someone knows otherwise?

Also with an income of 32k, you probably won't be able to charge enough to offset the AF. That's something else you might want to take into consideration before applying.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 10 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.