Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I apply for Navy Federal CC or just wait

tag
nikkiheaven
Contributor

Should I apply for Navy Federal CC or just wait

I've been banking with NFCU for 10 years.  I'm 5 months away from paying off a 34K car loan; I have a paid off a personal loan with them about 3 years ago, and I was just approved for a personal loan about 1 month ago.  My EQ credit score is 580, that's what Navy Federal said it was when they approved me for a 5K personal loan.  My credit report includes several collections - all are reporting 0 balance except for Capital One and Macys.  I also have a judgement, and a tax lien.  The tax lien has been paid, and a withdrawal has been issued.  I'm waiting to received my withdrawal letter, and then I will fax to credit bureaus.  When I talked to the fiancial counselor at NF; I was advised that I need a credit card to help raise my score.  I did the VS shopping card trick and was approved for 350; should I pull the trigger with Navy Federal?  I have a LOW 6 figure salary.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
leegreen
Frequent Contributor

Re: Should I apply for Navy Federal CC or just wait

Yes! Apply for nRewards they will probably counter secured if you don't get it, but you probably will, do it now! Let us know.
06/26/2014 - Gardening until 7/1/15
NFCU NavCheck 15k, cashRewards VS 14k, nRewards 14k
Amex BCE 15k, CapOne Quicksilver MC 3k, USAA Platinum MC 2k, Discover It 1k
Jared 5.1K, Zales 5k, Lowe's 15k, Home Depot 5k
Message 2 of 9
credithappy
Regular Contributor

Yes, you shoild apply for the CC from Navy since you already have the car loan and the personnal loan already.  It does not hurt to try.  I would apply for the CashRewards card.  Good luck.

Amex Green - Amex BCP - Amex Everyday Card - Amex Rose Gold - Elan Visa - Xcel FCU Visa - Walmart MC - Sam's MC - Macy's - Bloomingdales - Nordstrom - Sam's Club CC - Discover IT and US Bank Visa FlexPerks - AMEX HHonors - NAVcheck - NAVcashRewards Sig Visa, NAVgoRewards MC, Chase Amazon VISA, BoA CashRewards VISA - Chase Marriott Reward Premier CC, Jetblue Card MC, PenFed Power CR Visa Signature Card, Chase Freedom, Nordy VISA and BBVA
Message 3 of 9
SevenNEW
Established Contributor

@nikkiheaven wrote:

I've been banking with NFCU for 10 years.  I'm 5 months away from paying off a 34K car loan; I have a paid off a personal loan with them about 3 years ago, and I was just approved for a personal loan about 1 month ago.  My EQ credit score is 580, that's what Navy Federal said it was when they approved me for a 5K personal loan.  My credit report includes several collections - all are reporting 0 balance except for Capital One and Macys.  I also have a judgement, and a tax lien.  The tax lien has been paid, and a withdrawal has been issued.  I'm waiting to received my withdrawal letter, and then I will fax to credit bureaus.  When I talked to the fiancial counselor at NF; I was advised that I need a credit card to help raise my score.  I did the VS shopping card trick and was approved for 350; should I pull the trigger with Navy Federal?  I have a LOW 6 figure salary.

Maybe someone with more experience with NFCU can give a good response. To me your scores seem still very low. Do you have other cards in good standing?

Edited: grammar.

SevenNEW, Garden Nerd - In the Garden until 2015!
4.2K 10K 24.6K
Message 4 of 9
leegreen
Frequent Contributor

The cashRewards is a solid pick for everyday shopping the nRewards has better rewards through the member mall for online shopping. Its really a toss up, I only said the nRewards because of the coresponding secured version if a 580 does not qualify for unsecured.
Message 5 of 9
leegreen
Frequent Contributor

Also I got my nRewards with a equifax in that range...6 years later it carries a 14k limit and is my oldest cc.
Message 6 of 9
nikkiheaven
Contributor

I have no other credit cards except for VS, and they have not even sent me my first bill.  My judgement is paid also, I got in removed from TU, but nowhere else as of yet.  My DTI according to Navy Federal is at 17%.  I've been making on time payments to my student loans since December.  UUm, maybe I'll co-apply with my Dad.

Message 7 of 9
Jarnog
Frequent Contributor

I'll give the same response I gave to another forum member about NFCU...This is my personal experience.  Also as an addendum - DW and I both had collections (unpaid and paid) on our reports at the time.

Do it now LOL. 

Just a little info about me and my DW.  Been with Navy for going on 3  years.  Had a secured card the whole time.  Still won't graduate it :/.  Jan this year we changed everything over to NFCU.  Checking, etc.  DW had a 578 EQ scorewatch score and app'd for the goRewards....Approved for 4k.  I app'd for my own at the time...EQ score was 550 or so...declined (no surprise).  Fast forward 3 months, got to refi our car with them....not a great rate 15.99 but it was WAY better than the 21+% we were at.  I took the plunge again and app'd for the cash rewards at the same time...score approximately 580...approved for 3k.  Yet they still won't give me a LOC HEH.

So I say GO GO for it!  Your scores are way better than ours were, and if you're correct about the removals and such, I don't see any problem with you getting approved!!

Message 8 of 9
leegreen
Frequent Contributor

@nikkiheaven wrote:

I have no other credit cards except for VS, and they have not even sent me my first bill.  My judgement is paid also, I got in removed from TU, but nowhere else as of yet.  My DTI according to Navy Federal is at 17%.  I've been making on time payments to my student loans since December.  UUm, maybe I'll co-apply with my Dad.

Apply by yourself...The HP is not going to do anything to your report, they matter more at higher scores. YOu will probably be approved!

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.