cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I apply for a Walmart Card with 1 Baddie?

tag
sccredit
Valued Contributor

Re: Should I apply for a Walmart Card with 1 Baddie?

@Anonymous wrote:

@bigblue7722 wrote:

ive never had a walmart card before but i am not a huge fan of just store cards. When your trying to build your credit i think secured is the way to go.

I never had a walmart becasue i refuse to do business with them. Ignoring store cards for someone trying to build/rebuild is just poor advice. My credit advisor advied to do 6 months on a secure card and then apply for a store card. Store cards are a lot easier to get. Store cards are also perfect if you need to buy something that qualifies for the interest free promotions. Make interest free minimum payments for a short period of time leaving extra to apply towards other things. No point in having a bunch of cash held up when there are unsecured options out there to free up your money.

After 6 motnhs with a secured card you would be able to get a few other unsecured credit cards, CapOne, Possibly Barclays.  No reason to rely on store cards.  

Message 11 of 40
destine2grow
Frequent Contributor

I think you should apply for the Walmart card if yiubhave one baddie and you have a decent CS.

Although I am not happy with Walmart at the moment. One thing I would caution you on is they will place a hold on you payment and the funds can be on hold for 7-21 days. Walmart has done this to me with the first payment I made on my Walmart which was on 10/7. Also multiple payments will prompt a hold. I basically PIF. The payment was $423. I don't consider it a large payment but hey they do.

So now my plan is to use my Walmart cc sparingly and use my QS and Cash rewards when shopping at Walmart. I refuse to derive 20 min to make a cash/debit payment to avoid payment from being held.

Message 12 of 40
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

It was the 3rd card in my rebuilding 3 1/2 years ago I started with a $700 store card. If you can use it I vote to go for it. Treated right it will grow.

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 13 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

@destine2grow wrote:
I think you should apply for the Walmart card if yiubhave one baddie and you have a decent CS.

Although I am not happy with Walmart at the moment. One thing I would caution you on is they will place a hold on you payment and the funds can be on hold for 7-21 days. Walmart has done this to me with the first payment I made on my Walmart which was on 10/7. Also multiple payments will prompt a hold. I basically PIF. The payment was $423. I don't consider it a large payment but hey they do.

So now my plan is to use my Walmart cc sparingly and use my QS and Cash rewards when shopping at Walmart. I refuse to derive 20 min to make a cash/debit payment to avoid payment from being held.

Wal mart did that to me on my first payment. The second payment with the same account went through in a day. The third payment with a different account was slow to credit, then the 4th payment with the same account went through in a day. I think it's just when you change to a new payment method or account for the first time. 

Message 14 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

@destine2grow wrote:

They never did this to me.

It's paid by next day for me, always.

Message 15 of 40
DrDG
Established Member

Super helpful. Thank you so much.

Rebuilding with goals of reaching 750.
Message 16 of 40
DrDG
Established Member

Good to know, thank you. 

Message 17 of 40
juggalo9er
Valued Contributor

apply! you will be approved for 300-500

Message 18 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you do get the bug to apply...Immediately call credit solutions and ask for 25k.
Message 19 of 40
DrDG
Established Member

25k? Really? Why so high? I mean, that would be awesome, but dont you think they'd reject me immediately???

Message 20 of 40
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.