cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I apply for another card?

tag
megan1387

Should I apply for another card?

Hello! I'm new to caring/thinking about my credit and was wondering if I should consider applying for another card. I currently have a capital one journey (student) card with a $750 limit that I've always paid on time and usually pay off every month.

I only know my experian credit score which is 682. 

It's been 2.7 years since I had 1 account listed as "Failed to Pay" .

I have a lot of student loan debt as well as an auto loan. 

2 hard inquiries (7/8/11 & 2/24/12)

My oldest account is 6.7 years and AAoA is 3.4 years. 

Any thoughts on where I should go from here?

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: Should I apply for another card?

What type of card do you need? Your INQ's are very low so thats a good thing. What do you spend the most on?

@megan1387 wrote:

Hello! I'm new to caring/thinking about my credit and was wondering if I should consider applying for another card. I currently have a capital one journey (student) card with a $750 limit that I've always paid on time and usually pay off every month.

I only know my experian credit score which is 682. 

I have a lot of student loan debt as well as an auto loan. 

2 hard inquiries (7/8/11 & 2/24/12)

My oldest account is 6.7 years and AAoA is 3.4 years. 

Any thoughts on where I should go from here?

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 14
megan1387

Most of my upcoming spending is going to be on travel as I'll be in Europe for two months this summer. I won't be purchasing my flight to Europe but will be purchasing a couple regional flights while there as well as hotels, food, etc. Apart from that, most of my spending goes towards the usual food, gas, etc. I don't necessarily *need* another credit card, but I thought it might be good to have a higher credit limit. Particularly because it was frustrating when I tried to make a large purchase ($2,500) with my debit card but wasn't able to because I had a limit of $2000/day. 

Message 3 of 14
myjourney
Super Contributor

@megan1387 wrote:

Most of my upcoming spending is going to be on travel as I'll be in Europe for two months this summer. I won't be purchasing my flight to Europe but will be purchasing a couple regional flights while there as well as hotels, food, etc. Apart from that, most of my spending goes towards the usual food, gas, etc. I don't necessarily *need* another credit card, but I thought it might be good to have a higher credit limit. Particularly because it was frustrating when I tried to make a large purchase ($2,500) with my debit card but wasn't able to because I had a limit of $2000/day. 

Good info one more question you siad you didn't have your score only EX how did you get that score? You will need to pull your scores for better results but you need a reward/ travel card for what I see so far. No one can say what limit you will get tho

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 4 of 14
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

What kind of account was this that is "Failed to Pay?"

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 5 of 14
megan1387

It was a medical bill that I was unaware of until I started getting calls from a collection agency. 

Message 6 of 14
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

@megan1387 wrote:

It was a medical bill that I was unaware of until I started getting calls from a collection agency. 

Did you pay the medical provider, or did you pay the CA?  Did you send a DV letter?

I think you should look at an Amex card, to establish a good member since date.

Also look at BofA travel rewards since it has no Forex fee

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 7 of 14
Open123
Super Contributor

@megan1387 wrote:

There is almost a 100% effective method to get rid of this from your CRAs.  Do a google search and I'm sure some "tried and true" methods will pop up on dealing specifically with "medical" collections.

Message 8 of 14
megan1387

I just paid the collection agency when it all happened. I'll look into getting it removed. I didn't even know that was a possibility. 

Message 9 of 14
Open123
Super Contributor

@megan1387 wrote:

I just paid the collection agency when it all happened. I'll look into getting it removed. I didn't even know that was a possibility. 

Federal regulations (HIPAA) makes it a federal crime to publicize public health information without a legitiimate purpose.  Since you've paid your debt, there is no legitimate purpose to publicize your private medical information on a CRA (since no money is owed), and thereby "illegal" under Federal law.

They are breaking Federal privacy laws here.

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.