Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I apply for any more cards?

tag
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: Should I apply for any more cards?

If you are still considering an additional card for BTs that would be Chase's Slate. Strictly a BT card. Of the cards you just received, Amex and Barclays will be the more sensitive on high util. In your case you will have high util on the majority of your new TLs. Barclays is notorious for SP'ing new accounts and Amex will as well.

I'm not trying to frighten you but just be careful when carrying debt ESP on a thin file with multiple new TLs. Make sure they can see you are paying more than the minimum. Charging and only paying the minimum will not fare well.

Good luck to you in paying down your debt.
Message 11 of 17
myjourney
Super Contributor

@Beane wrote:

@myjourney wrote:

Welcome to the forum

If you need another card I would suggest a card made just for BT's 

Chase slate but I would also advise that you start paying off balances instead of moving or carrying them long term

Yeah, my goal is the pay down the BoA and then the other cards in order of time left at 0% (Chase, Discover, Barclays).  I don't plan on carrying any balance over the transfers on those cards as I'll be using them for the rewards and then paying them off at the end of the month.

Maybe I didn't explain it properly why not have one card designed for BT's and longer term financing instead of 3 cards with balances on them and trying to pay off

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 12 of 17
Beane
Regular Contributor

@myjourney wrote:

@Beane wrote:

@myjourney wrote:

Welcome to the forum

If you need another card I would suggest a card made just for BT's 

Chase slate but I would also advise that you start paying off balances instead of moving or carrying them long term

Yeah, my goal is the pay down the BoA and then the other cards in order of time left at 0% (Chase, Discover, Barclays).  I don't plan on carrying any balance over the transfers on those cards as I'll be using them for the rewards and then paying them off at the end of the month.

Maybe I didn't explain it properly why not have one card designed for BT's and longer term financing instead of 3 cards with balances on them and trying to pay off

I guess the answer was that I didn't have one card that I could BT all of the BoA to as it was 6K and my highest limit was 3K.  I will contact Barclays to see if they will raise the limit to see if I can get it all on one card, but I was unsure of whether to do that after just getting the card.

FICO EQ: 733 TU: 727 CS FAKO EX: 737                                                                                               In the garden since 5/9/13
Message 13 of 17
Beane
Regular Contributor

I called up Barclays and they were willing to raise my limit to the level of the BoA card and take the full balance transfer.  Now I can just pay down the balance interest free for the next 24 months.

FICO EQ: 733 TU: 727 CS FAKO EX: 737                                                                                               In the garden since 5/9/13
Message 14 of 17
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

Congrats Beane.. you've done well so far.. keep it up! You'll get that balance down!! I'm in a similar boat with getting a BT paid off... just focus on it and you'll get through goldenly. lol 

Message 15 of 17
Beane
Regular Contributor

Yeah, I'm content now with the cards I have now.   I was a novelty getting all the cards I did in a short time after having just one CC for so many years.  Gets kind of addictive after awhile just seeing what you can get.  Just going to pay down the balance and maximize the rewards on my these cards.

Message 16 of 17
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

You're right.. the good news is that you've decided you've had enough -- you can now join our "Garden" thread if you want? To garden is simply to abstain from creating any new trade lines. Anyone can join who is committed to staying in the garden! I like that it keeps me reminded that our credit truly is something that needs to be gardened or nurtured into a better profile. I currently have a seedling (which is what you'll start out with) in my sigature and after a month you get another spade. There are further goal spades after that you can update your signature with. I find this to be a worthwhile use of my time on here, because if I didn't, I'd just be reading all of the approval threads and wanting to app for something that I truly do not nee! The spade image in my signature is a fill for the addictive nature of the credit card app game!

Good luck! Smiley Happy

Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.