Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I apply for more cards?

tag
chrisw1968uk
Frequent Contributor

Re: Should I apply for more cards?

Thanks all - I am still in the interest free zone, so not paying anything extra Smiley Wink

Message 11 of 12
Steelersboy
Frequent Contributor

Re: Should I apply for more cards?

@parakleet wrote:

@oscar_actuary wrote:

@Steelersboy wrote:

@chrisw1968uk wrote:

Thanks for your input! - I pay all of my balances every month, except for leaving a small balance as recommended on here - I currently only "owe" on 1 card - $9 to cap 1

it took me forever to understand this concept, but the fico model does like to see some regular card activity. I always let chase only report a balance 1-9% of the available credit on the card. 12-20% isnt bad but 1-9 eeks out a few more pts. Wonder how many ppl in america know this info lol

But that is only relevant if you are applying for credit soon.  Otherwise you are just doing extra math and paying a nominal amount of interest for no reason.

Even if you're letting a balance report, that doesn't mean you're paying any interest. I agree that this "trick" is only worth it if you're actively seeking new credit. Otherwise, not really worth the bother. 

thank you. Huge difference between letting a balance report and carrying one.

If a man empties his purse into his head, no one can take it from him. An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest. - Benjamin Franklin |Capital One Quicksilver Cash Rewards|Chase Amazon Visa Rewards|BOA Cash Rewards|Commence MC| Citi Double Cash| Amazon Prime Store Card|Discover It|Chase Freedom|Chase Freedom Unlimited|Amex BCE|Wells Fargo Cash Wise|Barclays Cashforward
$89,500 total card credit FICO Equifax-823, FICO Transunion-774, FICO Experian-769, DTI-20.4%
Message 12 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.