Credit Cards Center Credit cards from our partners
Reply
Valued Member
Posts: 33
Registered: ‎02-13-2009
0

Should I apply for multiple cards or just one every so often?

Hi all!

 

Like most I get sucked into the wealth of knowledge here on the forums but I can't seem to find any recent information on my quandary.

 

I've been able to slowly increase my scores over the last year and a half, but I'm not sure how much additional credit I should apply for.  My credit report card from creditkarma gives me all A's and B's in all categories except credit inquiries "C" (for 3 inq's in 2 years) and a big fat "F" for total accounts. 

 

Until this past weekend I only had two open CC's, CapOne since nov 2008 with a $1000 CL, and BoA (1998) with a CL of $2700.  My wife convinced me to open a Macy's account a couple of days ago in order to get an extra discount on a mattress, not sure of the CL on this is but it should be somewhere between $1000-$1500 or hopfully more because the total purchase was applied to the new account.  As soon as I receive the account info I'll pay the balance off in full because the interest rate is almost 25%!

 

I've been thinking of applying for some type of rewards card but I'm not sure if I should absorb another inquiry.  Other than the Macy's hit, all I've had in the past 2 years is the CapOne from 2008, and one in May of 2009 for my mortgage app.

 

I'm sure the inq's will hurt for some CC's but I'm not sure which ones, but I'm just curious should I wait or should I press on?

 

Any advice is appreciated!

 


Starting Score: EQ 550 TU 551
Current Score: 5/2010 EQ 712 5/2010 TU 711
Goal Score: EQ 720 TU 730


Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Super Contributor
Posts: 5,759
Registered: ‎01-28-2008
0

Re: Should I apply for multiple cards or just one every so often?

apply for multiple cards...good ones.  you want your inquiries to all age and fall off the reports at the same time
Valued Member
Posts: 33
Registered: ‎02-13-2009
0

Re: Should I apply for multiple cards or just one every so often?

Great advise, that makes the most sense in the long run!

 

The only thing I'm worried about is my scores.  I belive they are sub 700 because of my total history or lack of multiple accounts.

 

Any recommendations for reward cards with my scores?  I've been solicited by Discover but I've been too chicken to apply, I guess I'm afraid of denialSmiley Very Happy


Starting Score: EQ 550 TU 551
Current Score: 5/2010 EQ 712 5/2010 TU 711
Goal Score: EQ 720 TU 730


Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Regular Contributor
Posts: 126
Registered: ‎01-31-2010
0

Re: Should I apply for multiple cards or just one every so often?

I am in similar situation too..I debating whether to go for Discover More or Chase Freedom. Their rewards are really alike. 
Super Contributor
Posts: 5,759
Registered: ‎01-28-2008
0

Re: Should I apply for multiple cards or just one every so often?


larrylock wrote:

Great advise, that makes the most sense in the long run!

 

The only thing I'm worried about is my scores.  I belive they are sub 700 because of my total history or lack of multiple accounts.

 

Any recommendations for reward cards with my scores?  I've been solicited by Discover but I've been too chicken to apply, I guess I'm afraid of denialSmiley Very Happy


Previous posts from members getting approved with scores in the 600's may indicate Discover has lowered the approval requirements.  

Super Contributor
Posts: 5,759
Registered: ‎01-28-2008
0

Re: Should I apply for multiple cards or just one every so often?


howhow16 wrote:
I am in similar situation too..I debating whether to go for Discover More or Chase Freedom. Their rewards are really alike. 

I would go for the Discover card if the initial credit line isn't a concern.  You may get approve for a higher initial limit with Chase.

Valued Member
Posts: 33
Registered: ‎02-13-2009
0

Re: Should I apply for multiple cards or just one every so often?


DI wrote:

howhow16 wrote:
I am in similar situation too..I debating whether to go for Discover More or Chase Freedom. Their rewards are really alike. 

I would go for the Discover card if the initial credit line isn't a concern.  You may get approve for a higher initial limit with Chase.


 

I'll give Discover a shot and see what happens.  Thanks Smiley Wink

 

Anyone ever apply for both?


Starting Score: EQ 550 TU 551
Current Score: 5/2010 EQ 712 5/2010 TU 711
Goal Score: EQ 720 TU 730


Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Super Contributor
Posts: 5,759
Registered: ‎01-28-2008
0

Re: Should I apply for multiple cards or just one every so often?


larrylock wrote:

DI wrote:

howhow16 wrote:
I am in similar situation too..I debating whether to go for Discover More or Chase Freedom. Their rewards are really alike. 

I would go for the Discover card if the initial credit line isn't a concern.  You may get approve for a higher initial limit with Chase.


 

I'll give Discover a shot and see what happens.  Thanks Smiley Wink

 

Anyone ever apply for both?


I got approved for a card with both banks back in July.  But Chase took their approval back.  Said I had too many recent inquiries. I already had a Circuit City card backed by Chase, but it was closed after Circuit City filed. BK.  

Senior Contributor
Posts: 4,831
Registered: ‎04-20-2007
0

Re: Should I apply for multiple cards or just one every so often?

Don't worry about the F for total accounts from Credit Karma. That's number 1. Multiple applications for credit cards these days is a recipe for disaster. If you were to charge all your household bills for the month on your credit cards would that eat up 10% of your available credit? Sub 700 scores and multiple applications these days might get you inquiries that fall off simultaneously but they will all be declined. Go easy.
Regular Contributor
Posts: 126
Registered: ‎01-31-2010
0

Re: Should I apply for multiple cards or just one every so often?

is Discover more overall a better card than Chase Freedom?
Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
† Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on actual applicant approvals and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.