cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I apply for this Discover it Card?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Should I apply for this Discover it Card?

Did you try Capitol one? They have been great to me. Went from 300 to 2500 in a year.
Message 11 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Did you try Capitol one? They have been great to me. Went from 300 to 2500 in a year.

I tried capital one about a month ago, before I had the 5 baddies removed. After getting a new report from all 3, I've only have 2 collections listed on my reports now. Student loans are really holding me down though. 

My updated scores are EQ - 567 TU - 597 - EX - 560.

Message 12 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

from my experience. You should use the two secure cards for a year. Try to keep your utilization as low as possible by making regular payments before statement cut. You'll get any card you want after a year.. 

Message 13 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Try aping for it now.
Message 14 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
I had a eq of 647 and got approved last month, but I was not given the terms I applied for, I qualified for another offer on the card which I accepted. Wait a couple months. Good luck.

Yes people have been approved in the 630-640 range, but this isn't typical of Discover especialy with OP's profile..  A EQ of 549 wouldnt get a secured discover either.  Just trying to give the OP solid advise from alot I mean alot of reading on this forum about discover among many other places.  

Eq is most likely what they would pull

For what it's worth, I was offered the secured Discover IT with a TU 471. I had two charged off loans (2009) and two collections (1-2013, 1-2014). The two collections and one of the loans have since been removed but Discover saw that info and NO positive TL history and allowed me to have my first ever bank card. Also - I'm in TX and they've pulled TU both times for me. Just data points. 

Message 15 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Before I knew that the approval was a sham I applied and was approved for the secured card, which I now have. I had 0 positive TL and 5 collections. I say apply just to see if you get the secured offer-from my understanding not everyone is given the offer.  Also I had a charge off from them for somewhere around $1000 I never paid off about 15 years ago.

I really love the card and the customer service is outstanding.  The card is supposed to graduate after a year so I have 5 months left.

Message 16 of 22
Anonymous514
Established Contributor

I recommend Fingerhut prices are inflated but make purchases and pay them down and you'll get increases in no time I started with them with a 250$ limit now I have 1350$ with them!

Message 17 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have the Discover it Student unsecured credit card, I was approved in March 2015 with a Transunion  score of 648.

I don't really have anything on my credit report and no student loans. I like this card and it has helped my score over a short period of time.

Also, You can try Capital One, I got the Platinum Mastercard unsecured with $300 limit.

I am in the process of building my credit right now, too. I am still learning about establishing credit.

My department store credit card, which was a Belk's Credit card is something that really helped my scores that were in the low 500s. Im now in the high 600s and low 700s.

Message 18 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

The pre-approval site is accurate, if you know what to look for.  If the APR range is specific or if the range is tighter than the standard range, then you should be good to go.  If I wanted to apply, I would find someone who is in good standing with Discover and ask them to refer me through Discover.com.  You get $50, plus I think it helps with the application.  Get them to refer you, then watch the prequalify site.  I've heard of the APR change tightening once that actions takes place. 

BTW, it is an outstanding card.  I'm very confident you will love it. 

Message 19 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is the pre approval and pre qualified site the same site?
Message 20 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.