cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I ask American Express for a CLI?

tag
Awesomely
Regular Contributor

Should I ask American Express for a CLI?

It's now the 62nd day since activation, my limit is $2,000 so I am going to ask for $6,000. Since I got the card I only put $100 on it though, I am scared >_>

Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
TangMeister
Frequent Contributor

Re: Should I ask American Express for a CLI?

If your credit looks good, and you don't mind if they get...you know....intrusive, then hey, go for it.  What's your highest credit limit besides Amex?  If you've got others at $6k+ and income to support your credit, I doubt they'll bat an eye.

Message 2 of 20
Awesomely
Regular Contributor

My Discover More is at $2,250 and the Barclays Priceline card is at $1,500. Maybe I should wait to ask for a CLI from them until I get one from Discover next month when I can apply for one.

Message 3 of 20
jefftca925
Established Contributor

@TangMeister wrote:

If your credit looks good, and you don't mind if they get...you know....intrusive, then hey, go for it.  What's your highest credit limit besides Amex?  If you've got others at $6k+ and income to support your credit, I doubt they'll bat an eye.

+1   I'd give it a shot... they either say yes, no, or counter.  It's a soft pull any way.  I just upped mine after having a bit over 3 months from 6k to 12k.  Didn't wanna push it too much.

CCs: Chase Freedom VS 12.9k, CSP VISA Sg 13k, BofA Amex 24.5k, Discover 12.5k, US Bank Cash+ Visa Sg 17k, Macy's Amex 8k/1.5k, Gap Visa 10k, Best Buy 11.1k, Citi TY MC 10.8k, Citi AA Amex 6k, Nordstrom VS 10k, Costco Amex 12k, BofA CR VS 5k, Amex BCP 13.5k, Amex ED 5k, Sears MC 9k, HD 7k, Target 600, Amazon 7k, US Bank MC 15k, US Airways MC 8k, NFL Visa 4k, Patelco Visa 10k, Penfed PR VS 44.6k, Chase Hyatt VS 8k, Citi Simplicity 13.3k, PayPal MC 7.5k, BBVA Visa 4k, WF VS 14k, FNBO Amex 14.1k, OCCU VISA 15k, TR Visa Sg 16.3k, C1 QS Visa 11k, FRN MC 15k, HSN 4k, Saks WEMC 10k/4k, Chase Ink 18k, Arrival WEMC 10k, Ebates VS 8k, Orbitz VS 12k, NASA V 30k, USBk FP VS 21.5k, DC 30k, VirgAm 15k, Sams MC 15k, Amex Bz Gold, Amex SC 10k, BofW Bz MC 18k
Message 4 of 20
TangMeister
Frequent Contributor

@Awesomely wrote:

My Discover More is at $2,250 and the Barclays Priceline card is at $1,500. Maybe I should wait to ask for a CLI from them until I get one from Discover next month when I can apply for one.

How about splitting the difference and asking for $4k rather than taking you to $6k?  I'm sure you'll get that, no problemo, and you'll probably get the $6k.  I'd go for it now. 

Message 5 of 20
Awesomely
Regular Contributor

Is there any reason I would get denied? I get scared whenever I want to apply for anything that has to do with credit =/

Message 6 of 20
TangMeister
Frequent Contributor

@Awesomely wrote:

Is there any reason I would get denied? I get scared whenever I want to apply for anything that has to do with credit =/

I can't answer that for you, because everyone's situation is different, but a CLI to $4k or $6k from where you are is perfectly reasonable to Amex.  They allow you to ask for up to 3x your current limit in any CLI.  If you get denied, it's no big deal.  They may want a little more history or something that has NOTHING to do with your worthiness.  Don't be scared...embrace your success.  Not everyone can get an Amex to begin with.  Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 20
Awesomely
Regular Contributor

I will call later and see what happens, thanks a lot guys =D

Message 8 of 20
TangMeister
Frequent Contributor

@Awesomely wrote:

I will call later and see what happens, thanks a lot guys =D

No problem.  Use the automated system by phone....if it tries to transfer you to a CSR, hang up.  It'll save you a potential hard inq.   Good luck and let us know!  Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 20
Awesomely
Regular Contributor

So I called and asked for $3,000 and they said " We're sorry, we can't process your application at this time, to check the status of your application please call ... "

Did I get denied? No idea what that means >_>

Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.