cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I ask American Express for a CLI?

tag
DI
Super Contributor

Re: Should I ask American Express for a CLI?

@Awesomely wrote:

So I called and asked for $3,000 and they said " We're sorry, we can't process your application at this time, to check the status of your application please call ... "

Did I get denied? No idea what that means >_>

AMEX CLIs are instant.  If you get a message it means denied.

Message 11 of 20
jefftca925
Established Contributor

I think you might have asked a little bit too early.  Was the request done after 60 days of your approval date or 60 days after activation?  If it was the approval date, then that is probably why it was denied.  It's a safe bet to go by the activation date (the day you received and activated the card).

CCs: Chase Freedom VS 12.9k, CSP VISA Sg 13k, BofA Amex 24.5k, Discover 12.5k, US Bank Cash+ Visa Sg 17k, Macy's Amex 8k/1.5k, Gap Visa 10k, Best Buy 11.1k, Citi TY MC 10.8k, Citi AA Amex 6k, Nordstrom VS 10k, Costco Amex 12k, BofA CR VS 5k, Amex BCP 13.5k, Amex ED 5k, Sears MC 9k, HD 7k, Target 600, Amazon 7k, US Bank MC 15k, US Airways MC 8k, NFL Visa 4k, Patelco Visa 10k, Penfed PR VS 44.6k, Chase Hyatt VS 8k, Citi Simplicity 13.3k, PayPal MC 7.5k, BBVA Visa 4k, WF VS 14k, FNBO Amex 14.1k, OCCU VISA 15k, TR Visa Sg 16.3k, C1 QS Visa 11k, FRN MC 15k, HSN 4k, Saks WEMC 10k/4k, Chase Ink 18k, Arrival WEMC 10k, Ebates VS 8k, Orbitz VS 12k, NASA V 30k, USBk FP VS 21.5k, DC 30k, VirgAm 15k, Sams MC 15k, Amex Bz Gold, Amex SC 10k, BofW Bz MC 18k
Message 12 of 20
TangMeister
Frequent Contributor

@Awesomely wrote:

So I called and asked for $3,000 and they said " We're sorry, we can't process your application at this time, to check the status of your application please call ... "

Ah well, that's probably a no.  Don't sweat it, Awesomely.  If you don't get it, then use the card some more, wait a couple months, and ask again.  It may have been too early, as Jeff said.  Don't take it personal; it's just business.  Not a reflection on your credit worthiness! 

Message 13 of 20
tntexans72
Valued Contributor

From reading your 1st post, you have only put $100 through the card since getting it? Amex gonna see you are not using the card therefore they feel the CL is sufficient base on your needs. If I were you, I would use the card heavy and PIF before the statement cut, letting Amex know....the CL that is giving to me is not sufficient for my needs and I need a bigger CL. I don't know what your monthly expenses are like, but if you can use the card, PIF twice each month, that will send a message to Amex.

Message 14 of 20
UFGuy2006
Established Contributor

@Awesomely wrote:

I thought they changed the CLI period from 60 to 90 days for new accounts. I may be wrong... but why not call and find out?

Message 15 of 20
jefftca925
Established Contributor

Their website still says 60 days but when the clock starts is the question.  I'd wait til after your 3rd statement posts just to be safe.  It's really hard to gauge time with Amex as nothing they do in a timely manner seems to make sense.  For example, they don't report new accounts until after the second statement posts and the data is usually 30 days old!  So rule of thumb... always give Amex a little extra time when conducting business..it'll save you a few grey hairs! Smiley Very Happy

CCs: Chase Freedom VS 12.9k, CSP VISA Sg 13k, BofA Amex 24.5k, Discover 12.5k, US Bank Cash+ Visa Sg 17k, Macy's Amex 8k/1.5k, Gap Visa 10k, Best Buy 11.1k, Citi TY MC 10.8k, Citi AA Amex 6k, Nordstrom VS 10k, Costco Amex 12k, BofA CR VS 5k, Amex BCP 13.5k, Amex ED 5k, Sears MC 9k, HD 7k, Target 600, Amazon 7k, US Bank MC 15k, US Airways MC 8k, NFL Visa 4k, Patelco Visa 10k, Penfed PR VS 44.6k, Chase Hyatt VS 8k, Citi Simplicity 13.3k, PayPal MC 7.5k, BBVA Visa 4k, WF VS 14k, FNBO Amex 14.1k, OCCU VISA 15k, TR Visa Sg 16.3k, C1 QS Visa 11k, FRN MC 15k, HSN 4k, Saks WEMC 10k/4k, Chase Ink 18k, Arrival WEMC 10k, Ebates VS 8k, Orbitz VS 12k, NASA V 30k, USBk FP VS 21.5k, DC 30k, VirgAm 15k, Sams MC 15k, Amex Bz Gold, Amex SC 10k, BofW Bz MC 18k
Message 16 of 20
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

I would wait for 2 years or untll the economy improves, whichever comes last  Smiley Very Happy

The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 17 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Think of getting approved for a credit card as the same as getting a date with someone you've always liked.  It's just the start of what can be a wonderful relationship.  Asking for a CLI increase only two months later is like pulling up in a moving van unexpectedly after just two months of dating.  Like love, establishing credit and getting CLIs takes time.  Don't obsess and don't rush things.

Message 18 of 20
Awesomely
Regular Contributor

I activated it on April 19th, sounds like a good idea to wait until the third statement cuts next month.

Message 19 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

I posted a few months back my long saga with getting approved with a Blue Cash card.  It was activated on 3/15 with a $3,000 limit.  I've spent $11k on it so far, so i've had to make multiple payments some months before the statement was cut.

I just now got off the phone with them and did the automated CLI and requested $9k and was approved.  Like it was suggested earlier, perhaps spend some more and PIF before the statement is generated.

Good luck!

Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.