Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I ask for a recon or CLI?

tag
DI
Super Contributor

Should I ask for a recon or CLI?

I applied for a Citi card and received it back in July.  My EQ FICO score was 725 during approval.

My FICO score increased to 767  after an adverse account was deleted.  Should I contact Citi to see if the adverse account listed during the time the pull my report, that was deleted, kept me from having a higher initial credit limit?  The credit limit is $4000.

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
nathan
Frequent Contributor

Re: Should I ask for a recon or CLI?

If I were you, i would just wait and ask for a cli later. 4k as a start in this economy is considered generous.
Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@DI wrote:

I applied for a Citi card and received it back in July.  My EQ FICO score was 725 during approval.

My FICO score increased to 767  after an adverse account was deleted.  Should I contact Citi to see if the adverse account listed during the time the pull my report, that was deleted, kept me from having a higher initial credit limit?  The credit limit is $4000.

CITI will undoubtedly pull another CR to verify your new status.  I've noticed that they soft pull quite frequently and give automatic CLIs accordingly.  Its your call, another hard inquiry now, or wait a couple of months for automatic CLI.

Message 3 of 13
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

@DI wrote:

No! You made it past the approval hurdle and that's all that would have been influenced (and possibly the APR, but you most likely have already gotten Tier 1). CL's are based on too many other factors. Wait until you have access to the luv button and then use it. If you are offered something on a soft pull and like it, accept - otherwise you will have to accept a hard INQ.
Message 4 of 13
DI
Super Contributor

LOL. Speaking of Citi Luv Button.. I have searched EVERYWHERE within my account for it.  I guess it won't appear until I'm eligible. 
Message 5 of 13
smallfry
Senior Contributor

Top tabs look under Tools. If it's not there you need to wait. Some cards I understand never get the free luv button. OP do not call just look for the CLI under tools.
Message 6 of 13
DI
Super Contributor

Thanks! It's not there yet. 
Message 7 of 13
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

I though you said you just opened your account. It won't be there for at least six months. Even if it is there it is only hard INQ free if you are not presented with a form to complete. Be patient - Citi is good - there will be something there for you in a little while. (Think in terms of 20-25%.) Just use your card and PIF! Or, if you prefer, use your intro offer.
Message 8 of 13
DI
Super Contributor

@creditwherecreditisdue wrote:
I though you said you just opened your account. It won't be there for at least six months. Even if it is there it is only hard INQ free if you are not presented with a form to complete. Be patient - Citi is good - there will be something there for you in a little while. (Think in terms of 20-25%.) Just use your card and PIF! Or, if you prefer, use your intro offer.

I did.  I just received it in July.  I'll wait until January for CLI.  I have 0% interest on purchases 6 or 9  months. I have until April 2010 to take advantage of a 0% BT offer.  I have no use for BT offer.  Back in the days if I had a card with 0% interest and no BT fee, I would have put the money in a savings account.  I missed those days!!! I hope those offers return.

I had a Citi card before during my college years in early 2000's.  I hit the luv button all the time, and it eventually got myself in trouble.  I had a $3800 CL before the account was turn over to collections.  It was sent to an attorney back in 2004.  Those days are over now, and those old accounts are no where to be found.  I got them all deleted.

Message Edited by DI on 08-08-2009 07:31 PM
Message 9 of 13
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

@DI wrote:

@creditwherecreditisdue wrote:

I did.  I just received it in July.  I'll wait until January for CLI.  I have 0% interest on purchases 6 or 9  months. I have until April 2010 to take advantage of a 0% BT offer.  I have no use for BT offer.  Back in the days if I had a card with 0% interest and no BT fee, I would have put the money in a savings account.  I missed those days!!! I hope those offers return.

Yes. The structure of Citi intro offers is: Purchases: 0% for x months from issue, BT: 0% for x months from first exercise, exercisable for x months from issue, x = 6, 9 or 12. So you can use the 0% purchase offer up, then make a BT after that. The BT's, sadly, are not free.

After your CBR is cleaned up you might want to ask them why you did not get a Tier 1 offer. I did this and got my APR reduced to the Tier 1 rate (now = 6.99%), but they didn't change the intro offer from 9 months to 12 months. If not concerned about the APR I would not bother calling.

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.