Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I axe my capital one card?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Should I axe my capital one card?

So just recently I received a 500 dollar cli on my discover more card I also have citi div, Amex bce, chase slate, three decent prime cards to go along withy cap one card my limit on that card is 750. I thinking of dropping it because it's my only card with an annual fee. Since I gained 500 on my discover card and if I close my cap one Thera a 250 dollar difference in credit available do u think this will effect my score being that it's only a 250 total available change and if so , points wise how much? Btw I'm at about 10% uti all cards combined any suggestions would be appreciated tks
Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Re: Should I axe my capital one card?

I would PIF on the Cap1 and call their exec. Office in the backdoor sticky at the top of the forum and ask them to waive the AF when it comes up. If they won't, axe it.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 2 of 20
jsucool76
Super Contributor

@LS2982 wrote:
I would PIF on the Cap1 and call their exec. Office in the backdoor sticky at the top of the forum and ask them to waive the AF when it comes up. If they won't, axe it.

That's what I would do as well. no sense on paying an AF for a card that isn't doing anything for you. It can always be replaced later down the road. 

Message 3 of 20
Open123
Super Contributor

You should PIF the final bill and close it immediately.

All things being equal, one should never pay a fee for a non rewards or benefits credit card.

Message 4 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Tks all
Message 5 of 20
bettercreditguy1
Established Contributor

What is your AAOA? What is you utilz?. To best answer, your totals need to be disclosed.

Updated scores 3/7/21 TU 849, EQ 829, Ex 818 (all Fico scores) Remember the Three P's: Pay early in Full, Pay on Time, Patience
Message 6 of 20
LS2982
Mega Contributor

AAoA is usually a non factor in closing accounts if you have active accounts currently. A closed account will continue to report for 10 years.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 7 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

As stated in my o.p. 10% is my uti all cards combined
Message 8 of 20
bettercreditguy1
Established Contributor

Closing this card out does not appear to effect your aaoa or your credit borrowing power that much. I believe the choice is yours.

Updated scores 3/7/21 TU 849, EQ 829, Ex 818 (all Fico scores) Remember the Three P's: Pay early in Full, Pay on Time, Patience
Message 9 of 20
Middleswarth
Frequent Contributor

@matt6781 - I'm with you on this one.  I plan to close one of my Cap One cards next week.  No point in keeping it since my CL has increased 20x in the past 2 months.

Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.