cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I be applying for military credit unions instead of wasting HP on prime banks

tag
TheGardner
Valued Contributor

Re: Should I be applying for military credit unions instead of wasting HP on prime banks

Navy, Wells and Capital One are not sub prime.

Capital one has some subprime products but is not a sub prime lender /bank.

If anyone needs me I will be In The Garden. Goal Score: 760 for all in 2015.
Current FICO Scores EX: 715 EQ: 756 TU: 762
Last APP April 21, 2015.
Victim of The great AMEX HP heist of Dec 1st, 2nd and 3rd of 2014.
Message 21 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Should I be applying for military credit unions instead of wasting HP on prime banks

Navy is where it's at . Join ASAP . They give really good credit limits most of the time . All their products are up there with the best .
Message 22 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congratulations on your NFCU approvals!

Message 23 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

Navy Federal is fantastic. They were my second card, it has been a great card. One of my favorites and they are alwasy amazing to deal with. Top it off that they have 24/7 telephone customer service... Fantastic. Smiley Very Happy

Message 24 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

One other question I had.  Since I was approved last night for the USAA Classic AMEX, can I use that at Costco, or can I only use my AMEX green since that one is actually issued from AMEX itself?  Thank you

Message 25 of 30
TheGardner
Valued Contributor

It can be used at Costco
If anyone needs me I will be In The Garden. Goal Score: 760 for all in 2015.
Current FICO Scores EX: 715 EQ: 756 TU: 762
Last APP April 21, 2015.
Victim of The great AMEX HP heist of Dec 1st, 2nd and 3rd of 2014.
Message 26 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

One other question I had.  Since I was approved last night for the USAA Classic AMEX, can I use that at Costco, or can I only use my AMEX green since that one is actually issued from AMEX itself?  Thank you

Any AmEx card can be used at Costco, regardless of who issued it Smiley Happy  I have a USAA Rewards AmEx, and use it with no trouble

Message 27 of 30
AintYouADaisy
New Contributor

Congrats on both water!  You'll be glad you've become part of both the NFCU and the USAA families!  Welcome to both!  (And yes, USAA is often untouchable with their auto insurance rates! Give it a looksie!)

Message 28 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

As someone who is a bit of a credit union nerd I just wanted to chime in for a sec. I am a member at 13 credit unons. I go to annual meetings for several of them. Most if not all break out financials in a much easier way than publicly traded banks. You can also vote for the people who lead your credit union. I sit on 2 member advisory boards. If you have any questions about your CU's finances, ASK. You the members own the CU. You have every right to know. I have CU's that just have the minimum sitting in a share account and a few with significant amounts of money. A handful I will almost certainly never use for anything, but I keep mainly just to stay on the email list to get their very interesting product list to make suggestions to my 2 locals for interesting opportuities. I would advise everybody to be a member of one local CU and one of the big nationals whether it be NFCU or DCU or Alliant or SDFCU.  And if possible, be active in the credit union. My local banking CU was looking for people to sit on a product advisory board, where we come up with ideas for new products. Think of the possibilites, take the pieces of things you like from X add it to Y and you and all of your friends and neighbors benefit together.

Message 29 of 30
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I guess my question is should I open up a Navy Federal Account or USAA and see if they might work with me?

I'd alwys recommend that anyone join these two if they qualify whether or not one immediately intends to use their products.  One may find them beneficial down the road even if not at this moment.  I'm very grateful that I received USAA membership through my father and wish I had joined NFCU back when he was with them.

@Anonymous wrote:

My parents always told me not to get involved with Credit Unions because they aren't as safe as banks but I keep reading about approvals with rebuilders using Credit Unions.  

Definitely do your own research and decide for yourself.  FYI, USAA is not a credit union.

@Anonymous wrote:

I would like to close and 5 store cards I would like to close since I've read I'm not supposed to have consumer finance on my CR.   Will this look real bad on my CRs if I close the 3 + 5 = 8 cards all in the same month?  I will still end up with more available credit than I had before because of the limits on my Navy and USAA approvals. 

This thread is linked in the Helpful Threads sticky in this subforum:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/fico/board/message?board.id=creditcard&thread.id=117125&jump=true

Message 30 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.