Credit Card Center Advertiser Disclosure

Valued Contributor
0 Kudos

Should I be concerned about Disco Cash limit?

I have a $2200 limit but only a $50 cash limit. This seems VERY small compared to most. I read others who just get approved and have maybe a 25-50% cash limit compared to their regular limit.
Does this mean they see something they don't like?

I would never use it anyway... especially since Discover lets you get cash back on purchases at the regular APR but it worries me.

My history:
$200 secured card
Increased to $1000 with additional deposit
Unsecured/Graduared day of my 7th Statement
Auto CLI to $1750 in the same email as graduation
Hit button same day and went to $2200

Cash limit has always stayed at $50

Anyone else have this? Should I be concerned? TIA
FICO 08: TU= 786 (May) EQ= 774 (May) EX= 706 (May) Recent Approvals:Huntington Voice $12k/Amex PRG-NPSL Favorites: Discover It, USB Cash+, Amex PRG
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

Re: Should I be concerned about Disco Cash limit?

[ Edited ]

My Discover cash limit % is small compared with my other cards. Limit is $30,800 with cash limit of $2,400. It has grown slowly. My card was only 2k when opened years ago. Hmm, I wonder what my cash access limit was back then. I know it hasn't risen over my last few cli's.

Amex Delta Platinum 6k | Barclaycard Commerce 15k | US Bank Cash+ 18.5k | Barclaycard Arrival+ 20k | Citi Aadvantage Platinum 22k | Capital One Venture 32k | Lowes 35k | Citi Hilton HHonors Reserve 36k | Discover It 37.8k | Bank of America BBR 45k | Amex EDP 50k | Chase Marriott 67k | Amex Platinum NPSL
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

My CL is 44K, but my CB limit is only 3300. Not concerned as I have no intention of using it.

You can't have your cake and eat it too. But you can dip your finger in the bowl and lick the icing!
Valued Contributor
0 Kudos

DW started with student card: $500 SL and $0 CB almost 3 years ago, today $12,000 and $0 CB.

Established Contributor
0 Kudos

my card was secured at $800 with a $50 cash advance limit, unsecured to $1750, stayed at $50, and then got a CLI to 5,700 and it went to $100 cash advance

FICO8s: EX: 660 EQ:654 TU:658 Last HP: 5/7/2017 | Beginning scores in Dec 2014: 530s | Oldest Account 6.5 years AAoA: 2 years | 2 COs 1 CA from 10/13
Super Contributor
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

In looking at many posts, Discover seems to set most cash limits at $2500. It may take a few years and then it seems to top out there. Like everything with Discover, there are many exceptions. My card opened in 2011 and topped at $2500.

Starting Score: 826
Current Score: 829
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Taking a cash advance on a credit card is only for the financially desperate or financially stupid anyway; I know at least one bank absolutely is aware of that and that's been pretty common knowledge out in consumer land for lenders in general, so I would highly discourage taking one except as an option of last resort.

Discover /shrug as that card only gets used for 5% anyway... but if you have a default spender like Chase FU or similar, put that cash advance limit down as small as possible so when you try to pay for something a little squirrley that may or may not be counted as a cash advance, it'll reject it and you can do something else instead.

Starting Score: EQ 5 561, TU 98 567, EX 2 599 (12/30/11)
Current Score: EQ 5 771, TU 4 758, EX 2 758, EQ 8 795, TU 8 762, EX 8 786 (7/28/17)
Goal Score:    EQ 5 750, TU 4 750, EX 2 750, EQ 8 800, TU 8 Blah, EX 8 800 (01/01/18)

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

I don't think it matters I would not use it so it is just a number that is there.

My card was also secured I started out at $200 with a $50 Cash limit... When I graduated they bumped me up to $500 and my cash limit stayed $50... Then a few days ago I requested an increase they upped my limit to $1,500 then raised the cash limit to $200..... I do not know if knowing all of this helps or not this was just my experience.

Congrats on your graduation and increases! 

AAOA 1 year Fico 08's 738 739 703
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

I do not think the cash advance limit affects how much cash over you can get at checkout, although, I may be wrong.

AAOA 1 year Fico 08's 738 739 703
Regular Contributor
0 Kudos

When I opened my card I had a credit line of $1500 and access to $800 cash. Cash limit hasn't changed though the credit line was bumped up.

Forums posts are not provided or commissioned by FICO. Forums posts have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by FICO. It is not FICO's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.

† Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
‡ Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on internal myFICO analysis of actual applicant approvals, and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range. These ranges were not provided by any card issuer.

* For complete information, see the terms and conditions on the credit card issuer’s website. Once you click apply for this card, you will be directed to the issuer’s website where you may review the terms and conditions of the card before applying. While myFICO always strives to present the most accurate information, we show a summary to help you choose a product, not the full legal terms - and before applying you should understand the full terms of products as stated by the issuer itself.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.