cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I be paying off credit cards each month?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Should I be paying off credit cards each month?

Hey all,
  So my credit is starting to go up and I have two questions.  I got a new card and I use it, and pay if off every month in pull.  Is this the best option or should I leave some on there to build debt?  Also, I have checked my free, government issued FICO scores from all three agencies and they are different from myFico scores.  Anyone know why this is? 
Answers to either would be appreciated.
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Watchmann
Valued Contributor

Re: Should I be paying off credit cards each month?

It is never a good idea to carry debt if you can pay it off, especially on credit cards.

Message 2 of 8
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

mkdata1 wrote:
Hey all,
  So my credit is starting to go up and I have two questions.  I got a new card and I use it, and pay if off every month in pull.  Is this the best option or should I leave some on there to build debt?  Also, I have checked my free, government issued FICO scores from all three agencies and they are different from myFico scores.  Anyone know why this is? 
Answers to either would be appreciated.

How did you get your FICO score?
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Free FICO scores? 
To my knowledge - there is no such thing-

I will assume the scores you recieved not from myFICO are fako scores.  
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I went online to government issued sites and they tranfered me to the three credit reporters.  Is this Fako?  The scores were higher and one of them had a different range, like 500 to 950.  What is that about?  MyFico was different.  Which is correct?
Message 5 of 8
athensguy
Valued Contributor

Only the Equifax score is likely to be a FICO score (It will say FICO near the score).
Message 6 of 8
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Not really. If you pulled reports and scores directly from the big 3 (EX, EQ, TU), then you did buy a real FICO score for EQ. However, you bought FAKO or fake scores from EX and TU. The score you got from EQ and from myFICO for EQ should have matched if you pulled it on the same day.
Message 7 of 8
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

But anyway, yes, PIF your cards every month. You shouldn't have to give interest money to CCC's to keep them happy. If they want you to do this, then plan to move on.

Do use them, but don't carry balances. Ever. And if you can, only let a couple report a balance each month. Pay the others off before their statement date. This keeps it from looking like you have balances on all your cards.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.