cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I cancel Chase United MileagePlus Explorer card?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Should I cancel Chase United MileagePlus Explorer card?

Right before the disaster of dragging the passenger off the United flight, I had switched from my old MileagePlus card to the newer Chase MileagePlus Explorers Card.

Credit limit 8,000

At the same time, I changed my Chase Freedom card to Chase Sapphire Preferred, which I have a 5,000 limit on.

both show zero Util at the moment. 

Beyond the passenger situation with United, I have tried for days and days to redeem miles I have earned for a simple iTunes card for about 65 UsD in value. The transaction won't go through. I have called 5 times and emailed just as many.....I always get transferred to Manila call center or am forced to email and just wait and when they reply nothing gets solved. It's like being in the ninth circle of hell.

Frankly, I just want to redeem my miles to zero and close out my mileage plus account and my Chase MileagePlus card.

if I do that, the. I will lose a card that has been open since 2005!  Chase said if I apply for another card outside the MileagePlus offerings, I would have to reapply and be subjected to a HP, which I want to avoid if possible. 

Any suggestions as to best course of action?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
jacetx
Valued Contributor

Re: Should I cancel Chase United MileagePlus Explorer card?

@Anonymous wrote:

Right before the disaster of dragging the passenger off the United flight, I had switched from my old MileagePlus card to the newer Chase MileagePlus Explorers Card.

Credit limit 8,000

At the same time, I changed my Chase Freedom card to Chase Sapphire Preferred, which I have a 5,000 limit on.

both show zero Util at the moment. 

Beyond the passenger situation with United, I have tried for days and days to redeem miles I have earned for a simple iTunes card for about 65 UsD in value. The transaction won't go through. I have called 5 times and emailed just as many.....I always get transferred to Manila call center or am forced to email and just wait and when they reply nothing gets solved. It's like being in the ninth circle of hell.

Frankly, I just want to redeem my miles to zero and close out my mileage plus account and my Chase MileagePlus card.

if I do that, the. I will lose a card that has been open since 2005!  Chase said if I apply for another card outside the MileagePlus offerings, I would have to reapply and be subjected to a HP, which I want to avoid if possible. 

Any suggestions as to best course of action?

I'm not sure what to tell you about the miles since those are not handled by Chase and they are already in your Mileage Plus account. However, you should ask Chase to move the $8k limit into your CSP.

Message 2 of 5
iced
Valued Contributor

There's not really enough information here to make a good recommendation as I don't understand the impetus for wanting to close the card:

- If it's to avoid an AF, there's options to downgrade it to the no-AF version (MileagePlus Awards or whatever it's called) and you can keep the account open if you're concerned about AoA.

- If you have too many cards and want to close it, do as suggested and transfer the limit to the CSP first (you will likely have to leave $500 of the limit on the card).  As stated, the miles are separate from the card already so you can do what you want with the account. Depending on how long it's been since you last earned/redeemed miles, you may have a significant amount of time to deal with the miles so if you're in a rush to close out the card you can do that today and still have months if not over a year to redeem the points.

- If the only reason you're taking this action is because of the recent passenger ejection by Chicago airport police, I'd suggest you hit the pause button until cooler heads prevail. The only person that can possibly be affected by this move is you.

I can't comment on the frustration you're having with the MP group to redeem your miles as I've never had such an experience. When you say the transaction won't go through, does it show any sort of error message or reason? I assume you're going through the MP gift card portal.

Message 3 of 5
yfan
Valued Contributor

Close it and move the limit to YOUR CSP. As mentioned, you don't need to have your credit card account open to retain the miles. You can continue to redeem the miles after your card account is closed.

I don't have a United mileage account, but if I had it, I'd do exactly what you're doing: cash out the miles and never do business with them again. Yes, the horrifying incident in Chicago would have sufficed by itself even if United weren't already known for bad customer service.
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have the same card and plan on closing it when the AF comes up.

Don't make a decision like this based on a single incident. It wasn't even United employees who caused the harm.
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.