cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I cancel alot of my cards. I have 13!

tag
GalaxyStars
Regular Contributor

Should I cancel alot of my cards. I have 13!

So, lately it seems to me thagt I have too many cards.

Yes I loved the thrill of getting approved, but now I'm kinda regretting it.

To much maintenance, I find my self checking the accounts on a regular, I'm aware that I can set them up on auto pay and leave them, but i'm still OCD about things like this.

So the cards I was looking to cancel was my least valuable ones

Cards that I would keep

Citi Double Cash

Chase Freedom

Barclay Cash Foward

Amex Blue Cash

Amex Delta Gold

U.S. Bank Visa Platnuim - OLDEST CARD

Marvel Credit Card

Cards I would cancel

Capital One Quiksilver

Target Red Card

Citi Diamond Preffered

U.S. Bank Platnuim Visa Perks

Apple Rewards Barclay

BlissPay

Can anyone give me advice?Bad Idea?

45 REPLIES 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Should I cancel alot of my cards. I have 13!

@GalaxyStars wrote:

To much maintenance, I find my self checking the accounts on a regular, I'm aware that I can set them up on auto pay and leave them, but i'm still OCD about things like this.

Cards that I would keep

Citi Double Cash

Chase Freedom

Barclay Cash Foward

Amex Blue Cash

Amex Delta Gold

Marvel Credit Card

Cards I would cancel

Capital One Quiksilver

Target Red Card

Citi Diamond Preffered

Apple Rewards Barclay

BlissPay

There's nothing wrong with cancelling credit cards if you no longer have use for them.  They will remain on your reports for 10 years so they wont affect your AAoA until if at all.  The only factor you need to take into account is utilization.  If you are carrying balances on the other cards that you want to keep and close these cards your utilization percentage will go up and could affect your credit scores.  If either you don't carry balances or the limits on the cards that you want to close are small and wont greatly affect your overall limit, then it's not a big deal.  

Of the cards you list that you want to close most either are very similar to ones to the ones that you want to keep so closing them isnt a huge deal.  Two things though.  If you close the Barclays Apple card try to transfer the limit to your Cash Forward card and then close.  Lastly it's up to you but I wouldnt close the Blispay card.  While you have the 2% cashback card covered with the Citi DC it does offer two features that you cant match and that's the ability to have 6 months of interest free for charges over $199 and that it doesn't report to credit bureaus.  That allows you to carry a balnce on the card without affecting your overall utilization and credit scores.  Hope this helps.

Message 2 of 46
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@GalaxyStars wrote:

Cards that I would keep

Citi Double Cash

Chase Freedom

Barclay Cash Foward

Amex Blue Cash

Amex Delta Gold

Marvel Credit Card

Cards I would cancel

Capital One Quiksilver

Target Red Card

Citi Diamond Preffered

Apple Rewards Barclay

BlissPay

There's nothing wrong with cancelling credit cards if you no longer have use for them.  They will remain on your reports for 10 years so they wont affect your AAoA until if at all.  The only factor you need to take into account is utilization.  If you are carrying balances on the other cards that you want to keep and close these cards your utilization percentage will go up and could affect your credit scores.  If either you don't carry balances or the limits on the cards that you want to close are small and wont greatly affect your overall limit, then it's not a big deal.  

Of the cards you list that you want to close most either are very similar to ones to the ones that you want to keep so closing them isnt a huge deal.  Two things though.  If you close the Barclays Apple card try to transfer the limit to your Cash Forward card and then close.  Lastly it's up to you but I wouldnt close the Blispay card.  While you have the 2% cashback card covered with the Citi DC it does offer two features that you cant match and that's the ability to have 6 months of interest free for charges over $199 and that it doesn't report to credit bureaus.  That allows you to carry a balnce on the card without affecting your overall utilization and credit scores.  Hope this helps.

I would close the Bilspay IMHO. Of the two cards I rather put my faith and my money in Citi and not to a start up with a 2 good to be true card... That card will be A) Gone in a few years or B) Drastically nerfed

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
EX: 744, TU:750, EQ: 740
Message 3 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Closingracer99 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@GalaxyStars wrote:

Cards that I would keep

Citi Double Cash

Chase Freedom

Barclay Cash Foward

Amex Blue Cash

Amex Delta Gold

Marvel Credit Card

Cards I would cancel

Capital One Quiksilver

Target Red Card

Citi Diamond Preffered

Apple Rewards Barclay

BlissPay

I would close the Bilspay IMHO. Of the two cards I rather put my faith and my money in Citi and not to a start up with a 2 good to be true card... That card will be A) Gone in a few years or B) Drastically nerfed

It may very well be closed or nerfed but I don't see any reason to take an action like closing it until that happens.  Until then might as well take advantage of the benefits of the card that his/her other cards don't offer.

Message 4 of 46
woodyman100
Valued Contributor

I would hold onto the Blispay.

Hidden trade line

NFCU-ICCU-EECU-PSECU-DoverFCU-DCUFCU-Union Square FCU-Signature FCU-AODFCU-RedstoneFCU-USAllianceFCU-Amarillo National Bank-BHG MC-CapitalOne-CapitalOne Biz-Regions-Goldman Sachs (Apple/GM)-Evolve-Fifth Third-Gemini-Huntington-Imprint-USBank-Pinnacle-Cardless-John Deere-Discover-BofA-BofA Biz-Celtic Bank (M1)-Chase-Chase Biz-Amex-Amex Biz-Wells Fargo-Commerce-FNBO-Citi-Citi Biz-Synchrony-Synchrony Biz-Target TD-Third Coast Bank-USAA-Amegy-Amegy Biz-Dell-Citizens Biz-Comenity-Comenity Biz-Bread (Comenity)-DSNB-Webbank-Bill
Message 5 of 46
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

Consider changing the two US Bank cards into Cash+ cards. 

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 6 of 46
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Closingracer99 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@GalaxyStars wrote:

Cards that I would keep

Citi Double Cash

Chase Freedom

Barclay Cash Foward

Amex Blue Cash

Amex Delta Gold

Marvel Credit Card

Cards I would cancel

Capital One Quiksilver

Target Red Card

Citi Diamond Preffered

Apple Rewards Barclay

BlissPay

It may very well be closed or nerfed but I don't see any reason to take an action like closing it until that happens.  Until then might as well take advantage of the benefits of the card that his/her other cards don't offer.

Honestly Meh. He stated he wants to close cards because he doesnt want to maintain them so given that I would go close it since he has the DC

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
Message 7 of 46
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

@woodyman100 wrote:

I would hold onto the Blispay.

Hidden trade line

Meh That is counter-productive for me at least lol. I want my cards to report Smiley Tongue

Message 8 of 46
nrm
Frequent Contributor

@GalaxyStars wrote:

Cards that I would keep

Citi Double Cash

Chase Freedom

Barclay Cash Foward

Amex Blue Cash

Amex Delta Gold

Marvel Credit Card

Cards I would cancel

Capital One Quiksilver

Target Red Card

Citi Diamond Preffered

Apple Rewards Barclay

BlissPay

CARP ONE: Close for sure!

Target Redcard: If you shop at Target instore, keep it. If you shop at Target online, close it. Later, apply for Discover it, it's a better card. 

Citi Diamond: Why bother with it in the frist place? It's the worst card ever exists, IMHO.

US Bank Visa Perks: Close it. Convert the other one to US Bank Cash+. 

Apple Rewards Barclay: Why did you let them rip you off with this card? 

BlissPay: I don't even know what this is, so I suggest staying away from it. (Sarcasm). 

Marvel: Unless you are a comic fan, there is no benefit you cannot have from the rest of your remaining cards. 

Barcaly Cashforward: Why 1.5? Why not 2.0 with Citi? 

I strongly belive you'll do fine with the rest of the remaining cards. 

Message 9 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would combine any of the accounts that you can into the ones you want to keep.  Then close whatever you don't want.

Message 10 of 46
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.