Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I cancel my Chase Slate?

tag
GMac93
Valued Member

Should I cancel my Chase Slate?

I've had the card for about 13 months. I requested an increase about a week ago and got denied. I always carried a low limit and paid on time. My limit is only $300 on it so its pretty useless to me. Should i just go ahead and cancel it? My oldest credit card is coming up on 3yrs. Im wondering it if will hurt my score though. Any suggestions?

Message 1 of 30
29 REPLIES 29
nursepower
Frequent Contributor

Re: Should I cancel my Chase Slate?

See if you can PC it. 

BK DC 10/18/18
Walmart $400 | Target $500 | Playstation Visa $750 | Petco MasterCard ? | Best Buy Visa $2000 | Cap 1Quicksilver $2500 | Ollo $2700 | Kohl's $3000 | Comenity $3200 | Dell $4000 | Skypoint FCU $5000
Last app 6/2/21
Message 2 of 30
GMac93
Valued Member

Sorry im very green on the terms here. Just joined. What does PC mean?

Message 3 of 30
johnpalley
Established Contributor

product change

Message 4 of 30
GMac93
Valued Member

How does that work?

Message 5 of 30
johnpalley
Established Contributor

you ask if you can switch to another card and have your same history follow over. this means your not starting a new account

Message 6 of 30
GMac93
Valued Member

For example if i applied for the Chase Freedom and got approved they could transfer over the info and credit from the Slate?

Message 7 of 30
johnpalley
Established Contributor

no that would be opening a new account. you have to call customer service and ask them to do it. it might not be possible though im not sure

Message 8 of 30
C24Webb
Regular Contributor

I agree... PC if you can.

What other cards/limits do you have? Does a Freedom interest you?

Had experience with a PC this past week: http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Successful-Chase-Slate-to-Freedom-PC/td-p/3035080

However, if your main issue is the limit then that needs to be addressed.  What were the reasons given for the denial?  If you PC, those reasons will remain the same and you won't get a CLI on the new card until you work on what's holding you back with Chase.

*edited for clarity

Card/Limit/Opened — Discover it: $27,600 2/14 | Chase Sapphire Preferred: $10,500 7/14 | Banana Republic Visa: $10,000 7/14 | USAA Cash Rewards Visa Signature: $9,000 6/11 | Chase Freedom: $2,000 3/12
History — AAoA: 42 months | Oldest account: 119 months (including AU) | Inquiries: 1 EX 0 EQ 0 TU | Score: 765 (Discover TU) 750 (USAA CreditCheck Monitoring EX FAKO)
Message 9 of 30
GMac93
Valued Member

I see. Thats the only card i have with Chase. Ive got a best buy and care credit with limits of 3k each. Wells fargo with 1.7k. discover it 1.7k. target with 300, and a ge capt with 1.5k. The freedom card does seem to be a good card.

Message 10 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.