cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I cancel my Citi Double Cash card?

tag
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Should I cancel my Citi Double Cash card?

Imperfect,

All good points. I tend to value the option of moderate purchases getting 0% such as a six month car insurance premium.

It's a good point that Blispay has been unwilling to reconsider starting CLs and future CLI is questionable. As frustrating as Citi has been with CLI, they may end up giving a CLI before Blispay ever does.
Message 21 of 55
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

@Gmood1 wrote:

@Closingracer99 wrote:

@Gmood1 wrote:

No there are others that cash out almost immediately.
AAoA is temporary.. not as much of a big deal as some believe.

Thanks for pointing out some of the other companies that do the same. This is probably why our daily drivers here are Cap one and Amex because their cash back is higher along with higher limits. Which allows us to use both without micromanaging the account's. Both are also AF cards so we give up a little cash back. We also generate much more cash back than we could using the 3k Citi DC.

We have more charged on the Cap one Venture last month, than the entire limit of the Citi DC. It's just not a good fit for us.

Ummm what? It is 12:30 so I am not fully awake anymore but how I read this as:

A) We ( who is we BTW) Use Amex ( The slowest out of all banks to do their rewards) and Cap 1 as daily drivers with higher limits and cash back is higher? Amex offers decent starting limits and offer SP CLI's and Cap one at least for me offer me horrible limits and still only wants to give me $3,000 on my PSN card.

I PIF every month as charges come in vs waiting until the statement cuts so I get my full 2% CB on my statement. Discover and Citi both make you wait until the statement cuts to give you CB while Cap one gives it out as earned I believe.

Lol..we is my household and the AU's here. I always let statements cut before paying any of these guys.

Cap one has been good to me as well as Amex. I'm half awake to.Lol

I have $48,500 limits with Cap one. Amex is $24k. I plan to ask both for CLI's over the next couple of weeks.

My point was, we are able to generate more cash back on both because the limits are more than high enough to carry a months worth of charges. I do not have to rush and pay them down. In order to use the card again.

Ah. personally I pay my cards off usually as the charges hit vs waiting until the statement cuts so the CL isn't that huge of a deal for me.

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
EX: 744, TU:750, EQ: 740
Message 22 of 55
Anonymous
Not applicable

@SouthJamaica wrote:

My smallest credit card limit is the Citi Double Cash Mastercard. The limit is $2600, which is exactly what it was when I opened the account a year and a half ago.

They've never offered me a soft pull CLI, and they've turned down my hard pull CLI requests twice for "too many recent credit requests".

I'm thinking of cancelling the card.

Any advice?

I'd keep it.  Sock drawer if you want, let the INQ's age off and keep trying the auto cli process.  This is one of Citi's harder cards to get, they are very careful with CLI's and limits in general.  

Message 23 of 55
kdm31091
Super Contributor

I just think if someone knows they are unhappy with a card, and has plenty of other cards, there's little reason to keep something just to keep it if it's making you annoyed.

Message 24 of 55
Man-Of-Steel
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I understand the frustration of a low limit (I have a $1500 Discover It that I've had for a year and a half that makes me pretty salty when I think about it), but I would recommend keeping the card. The card offers value even beyond the 2% cashback; its Price Rewind feature is really awesome as well.

When I have a card that irks me due to a low limit (like my Discover It), I choose to express my feelings about it in a way that is a lot more satisfying than closing it-- extracting every bit of value I can get from the card at the expense of the issuer. In the case of Discover, I use it only for the 5% -- right now, 10% -- categories. Discover is losing money off me; I'm making money! What revenge could be more satisfying?   

I suspect that many folks who have multiple rewards cards are exacting this same type of 'revenge' even when they love their CCCs or cards. Smiley Wink

To the OP:  You stated that you've been denied the CLI for too many recent requests for your credit.  Is that true from your perspective?  If so, are you willing to get to a point where you don't have several recent inquiries on your reports?  If not, and the main reason you don't like the card is the low CL, my vote would be to close it.  Personally, I would keep the card, but if the low limit is too frustrating for you (like kdm said), I would close it.

Message 25 of 55
Kevin86475391
Frequent Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:

I just think if someone knows they are unhappy with a card, and has plenty of other cards, there's little reason to keep something just to keep it if it's making you annoyed.

I agree with this. Don't keep it if it's making you unhappy and frustrated.

However, I personally love the DC card and in general would recommend it. I've had it for around 18 months now and it's one of my favorite cards. I did start with a limit much lower than my others cards; as I recall it was around 2.5-3k. I waited about 6 or 7 months then got an HP CLI to 10K and a few weeks ago got a SP CLI to 11.6K. Although, I only apply for about 1 new credit card a year and seldom ask for CLIs, so perhaps they were more willing to work with me (800+ Fico 8s). That said, even at the low SL I still found the card quite useful and would have kept it even without CLIs. It's a great way to get 2% cashback on expenses that would never be covered with category cards and for me the reward rate easily trumps credit limit and APR concerns since I PIF weekly regardless (that's just how I like to handle my finances). So I'm never near the limit and don't need to worry about APR anyway...I don't even know what my APR is with the DC offhand. I also don't really care about redemption thresholds. I figure Citi isn't going anywhere and neither am I so if it takes a little bit longer to get my cashback so be it.

That said, my priorities and methods of handling things aren't the same as everyone else's. If you don't like it - and as I recall I've seen you express dissatisfaction with the DC in other threads - then close it and spare yourself the frustration.

Message 26 of 55
mitchblue
Valued Contributor

If you don't want it close it. You obviously want to.. Why wait for a 100 people to tell you to close it?

FICO® 8 Scores 821 FICO® 9 Equifax 826 (Updated 02-7-23)
Message 27 of 55
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

If you don't need it for UTIL purposes (including having enough accounts with zero balances), then you might want to consider closing.   I have Citi DC and it doesn't meet my needs, but I'm SDing mine for now. 

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 28 of 55
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

The card is overrated, but I don't mind having it and using it.

I just feel the low, and so far immutable, credit limit is bringing down my average credit limit.

Can't decide if I should care about that or not.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 29 of 55
kdm31091
Super Contributor

You've expressed unhappiness with it for quite awhile. If I were you I'd close it and move on with my life. You'll feel better. It's obviously not suiting you.
Message 30 of 55
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.